• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

60mm vs. 62mm Throttle body bore

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have tried both, do you notice as significant of a change from 60-62mm as you did from 58-60mm?

Also, I using a K&N panel filter with an extra intake hose coming into the factory air-box from below the original, along with the original intake still intact (does that make sense? I added a 2 1/2" air duct to the bottom of the air box). Is this enough air for the 62mm or should I just get a cone-filter setup.

I found a source for 62mm butterfly plates for about $40 so suddenly the 62mm bore is affordable.

Thanks-
Shane Watson

I figured I'd bump this up once and hope someone who has tried both the 60 & 62mm throttle bodies could chime in.

My cold air intake is pretty much done and the new exhaust is being welded up in the morning, so I might be ready for a 62mm throttle bore, if it's worth it.

TIA-
Shane

Dunno about the increased performance between a 60mm to 62mm...

I've heard good things regarding upping the 58mm to 60mm tho...

I'm positive that going from 60mm to 120mm...

Is a definate kick in the pants!!!

2xtrouble.jpg

Oooooohhhhhh, very sexy!!

I don't really think my poor mostly-stock 4.0HO would know what to do with it though. I'm not convinced I'd know what do do with it either....

I don't have ny bore changes on my throttle body yet, but if I get the idea that 62mm is very nice I'll have a machine shop do the 60mm, then wait for the new butterfly and progress to 62mm. Otherwise I'll just do the 60mm myself and not worry about someone else having to try to deal with whatever sloppiness I introcuce to the body.

I'm all a-twitter with anticipation of my new exhaust being installed tomorrow though- Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster muffler and 2 1/2 from the manifold back. I'm getting about 18-20mpg (22mpg when it was all highway once) but just don't have the HP I want, and the cat is rattling like a blender full of rocks, so this might be fun. More air in is the next logical step in my mind-

Option is that a 62 is only for those with strokers and or a lot of head work. You dont want to slow down the air speed too much for bottom end response.

The response was good when going from stock 56mm size to 60mm (whole bore), but little difference in going from 60 to 62mm on my old 4.0. A stroker needs at least a 62mm TB, best would be 68.

Whaaaaaaaaait a minute!!!! Whaaaaaaaaait just a minute!!!!!!! Hold everything.

Where can I get one of those doubble TB systems? Can I drop it in a '99? I think TWO (2) K&N's, a set of #19 Ford Mustang injectors and a rebuild exhaust (hmmmm... I'm thinking 4") would be peachy with those TB's.

Maybe I could swap out my AT's for a set of slicks in the back. Then I'd be getting the ARB for something more then wheeling.

VVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMM VVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMM WWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

( I will be switching any more related posts to Street Tech)

Thanks!

wall04 said:
Whaaaaaaaaait a minute!!!! Whaaaaaaaaait just a minute!!!!!!! Hold everything.

Where can I get one of those doubble TB systems? Can I drop it in a '99? I think TWO (2) K&N's, a set of #19 Ford Mustang injectors and a rebuild exhaust (hmmmm... I'm thinking 4") would be peachy with those TB's.

Maybe I could swap out my AT's for a set of slicks in the back. Then I'd be getting the ARB for something more then wheeling.

VVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMM VVVRRRRRRRROOOOOOOMMMMMMMM WWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

( I will be switching any more related posts to Street Tech)

Thanks!

Pretty sure you are being sarcastic :laugh3: but in case you aren't, that shot is from the Hesco site. www.hescosc.com

The Hesco "double trouble" is a prototype and is way overkill even for a naturally-aspirated stroker. The only place I can see it being any use is on a higher rpm, turbo/supercharged stroker pushing out 400+hp.

So what's your source for the 62mm throttle plates? I'm ready to give this a try myself.

tlman said:
So what's your source for the 62mm throttle plates? I'm ready to give this a try myself.

Try this-
http://www.xj-armor.com/engine.htm

I have read a few disparaging things about XJ-Armor but I've never dealt with them myself. If you go this route, please post about your results-

Thanks-
Shane

Back