• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problems

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 started acting funny today. My wife drove it home from work and it was running fine. She made a stop at my moms and when she left the jeep didnt want to go at first but then got moving. She got home and i checked a few things as soon as she pulled in the driveway. The fluid was normal temp and pink still with no burnt smell or anything. And read where it should on the dip stick. The tv cable was still adjusted properly. When i put the shifter in drive it acts really slow to get up to speed. Doesnt really feel like slipping though. It still grabs just not like it should. If i put it in R, 1-2. It acts normal. Takes off just fine. Any ideas before i go get boned at the tranny shop? I just finished my project with it after 8 years and this is a real bummer. It sat for a long time while working on it and ive only had it back driving for a month or so. I dont really know too much about trans problems but would really like to fix it myself to say i did. KOH is this week and i dont want to miss it. Thanks in advance.

Confirm your AW-4 is filled with Dexron-III/Mercon fluid.

Unplug the Transmission Control Unit (TCU) and go for a test drive. Shifting manually 1-2-3-D, if seems to shift normally each time, you should suspect a faulty transmission solenoid or a faulty TCU. The NSS does have input for shifting, and could be misadjusted or faulty also.

Do you feel it shifting through the gears? The floor shifter limits the trans to the specified gear, the TCU works the gears and torque lockup. If you put it in D and the TCU is disabled then it will start in 4th, and won't take off like normal (but it will go).

If you feel it working through the gears, then clutch engagement is weak. Possibly a stuck solenoid, worn clutches, or something along those lines.

how many miles on the tranny ? my 98 & my brothers 98 both at about 140-150 k needed the solenoids replaced, had similiar syptoms of not wanting to go , i could manually shift it , but coudnt just leave it in drive. would come to a stop it stayed in 3rd , wouldnt down shift on its own. changed out all 3 soles. works like new, did it 4 yrs ago, still works great.

how many miles on the tranny ? my 98 & my brothers 98 both at about 140-150 k needed the solenoids replaced, had similiar syptoms of not wanting to go , i could manually shift it , but coudnt just leave it in drive. would come to a stop it stayed in 3rd , wouldnt down shift on its own. changed out all 3 soles. works like new, did it 4 yrs ago, still works great.

I too had the same problem several years ago and resolved it by replacing all the solenoids. I bought the replacements from an outfit in Texas (I do not remember the name) who specializes in the A340 which is the Toyota counterpart to our AW4.

Is there a way to test the solenoids with out droppong the pan and removing them?

Here is a start. http://www.naxja.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1013956

Could be as simple as a corroded fuse at the TCU below the glovebox.

Look for the yellow harness.

The trans computer is attached to the back side of the dash kickpanel below the glove box. As bizarre as it seems, yes there is a standard ATO auto-style fuse in the wiring harness (red 10-amp I think?), as well as a small resistor that's taped up in the harness for the brake switch. The 7.5-amp fuse in the fusebox labelled trans doesn't actually feed the trans computer, it feeds mostly the NSS and the backup lights.

techno1154 said:

Excellent place to start if you have a multimeter. You can reach up under the dash and unplug the TCU connector to check the solenoid resistance, power to the trans computer, etc.

Popped fuse would be the easiest fix. A bad solenoid would be the next most likely. Last time I priced solenoids, it was under $150 for the full set and maybe a two hour job to drop the pan and replace them. It's probably not a mechanical problem if it's shifting okay manually.

Well after a few weeks the fuses has blown 3 to 4 times. Any ideas what could be causing this. Just happens randomly. Runs fine then out of nowhere fuses blows. I cleaned the connector under the hood just to make sure and it still does it.

Well after a few weeks the fuses has blown 3 to 4 times. Any ideas what could be causing this. Just happens randomly. Runs fine then out of nowhere fuses blows. I cleaned the connector under the hood just to make sure and it still does it.

The fuse up under the passenger side dash near the TCU is the one that blows?

After consulting a wiring diagram, I would suspect the TCU is the issue.

Back