• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Coupler on 88XJ

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
In preparing to replace my dead compressor and likely convert to R134, I've removed all of my ac components (except the evap) so I can clean everything well and change out the seals. However, connected to the top of my receiver drier is, what's listed on the parts guide, as a coupler. When connected, you can easily blow through the connection. When disconnected it seals the 2 ends. At first, I thought it was a way to isolate the drier for servicing. Problem is there's no "coupler" on the other end. The FSM doesn't really describe this piece when servicing the AC.

So what does this really do? The reason is that there are several very small o-rings inside that did not come with my o-ring kit. The small plugs inside each coupler half come right out so I can put the fittings back together without them.

I plan to check a few local places for them and if I find them I'll replace them. But if it's going to be a struggle to find them, I'd rather ditch it.

Well, I found the other o-rings so I'm good to go once I get my new compressor.

Still if anyone really knows what the coupler really does?

FWIW: Since I had to break the system open to change my compressor, changing out the rest of the o-rings was not that big a deal. The worst part was pulling my condenser because I couldn't break the connection on the upper line. It's so tight, I may end up needing a new condenser as well since I'll likely snap the end off.

Well, in case anyone's interested, here a pic of the coupler with the new o-rings.

ac_0039Small.jpg

Unfortunately, the fitting on the condenser is pretty shot so I'll need a new one too. This is becoming pretty expensive and I haven't even bought the refrigerant yet.

ac_0035.jpg

Good info. !!!!!! :cheers:

Well, I have a compressor and condenser I still have to order. Right now, I'm leaning towards recharging it with R-12. I have an 86 Nissan P/U with R-12 and it's a bit low and may need some topping off. Since I need some R-12 for the P/U, I might as well bite the bullet for a few more cans and fill them both.

To that end, I took an online test for my EPA 609 certificate and passed, so I can buy Freon from any available source. Got 4 cans coming from eBay which should be plenty for both. Cost me just over $20 a can delivered.

The test was pretty simple, mostly dealing with the regulations. Got my cert immediately afterwards.

Back