• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading alternator wiring

Maybe you need to think a little harder.

Here's some homework for you-

You add up all the devices that are running on the average vehicle. Fuel pump, ignition, PCM, TCU, headlights, aux lights, AC, amp and radio, maybe a CB or other..........maybe a trailer, lights, Ebrakes, trailer battery,..........etc........Efan........wipers............whatever.

Add it all up......typical summer evening.......running full tilt.

Bet you'll be over 100 amps..........maybe 125 amps............continuous load.

Your alt is running full load all the time
I'd gladly take that bet considering the stock XJ alternator is only rated at 90 amps and does just fine for most people even with additional lights, radios etc.

Of course the OP has now stated that he's not working on an XJ so specific loads beyond the XJ platform I can't really comment on... But you're way off base for an XJ.

Maybe you need to think a little harder.

Here's some homework for you-

You add up all the devices that are running on the average vehicle. Fuel pump, ignition, PCM, TCU, headlights, aux lights, AC, amp and radio, maybe a CB or other..........maybe a trailer, lights, Ebrakes, trailer battery,..........etc........Efan........wipers............whatever.

Add it all up......typical summer evening.......running full tilt.

Bet you'll be over 100 amps..........maybe 125 amps............continuous load.

Your alt is running full load all the time

Bet your wrong.
In fact I know you are wrong, mainly because I do have an amp gauge, know how to work it and I can empirically prove you are wrong.

Try again please.

I'd gladly take that bet considering the stock XJ alternator is only rated at 90 amps and does just fine for most people even with additional lights, radios etc.

Of course the OP has now stated that he's not working on an XJ so specific loads beyond the XJ platform I can't really comment on... But you're way off base for an XJ.

Again, to you, what are the loads?

Put some numbers down or STFU./

To the both of you-

There are two things Jeep is notorious for, overheating, and shit electrical.

I've gone through mine, as have a few others here. Completely gone through my harnesses, replaced wire, increased wire gauge, improved and increased grounds.....etc.....

My shit ain't broke and I dont' talk out my ass. I see nothing but BS out of the two you.

Post up, let us all see your work.

And some numbers.

Alright then, F-ing do it.

12 amp at idle with just the radio on. 20 amp with headlights, 58 amp with ac and fan on high with headlights on hi beam.
This is at idle with an operating temp at 208 and a new alternator. Amperage does not change with rpm which means that is all the draw there is.

Voltage drop is a another matter but that's due to undersize wires and not the current demands

12 amp at idle with just the radio on. 20 amp with headlights, 58 amp with ac and fan on high with headlights on hi beam.
This is at idle with an operating temp at 208 and a new alternator. Amperage does not change with rpm which means that is all the draw there is.

Voltage drop is a another matter but that's due to undersize wires and not the current demands

Those numbers do not surprise me, about what I expected.

I had read that the average vehicle, factory, requires about 88 amps with AC. Most factory alts produce about 10% more amps than is required.

2.5 Jeeps came factory with a 75 amp alt.

Post #1 of this thread, man is looking at a 160 amp alt, this generally means that one is looking to increase demand.

My SPAL Efan alone requires 25 amps........any of us with extras will be in the 100 amp neighborhood..........light bars, trailer, secondary batteries, amplifiers, multiple fans.....etc....

To the both of you-

There are two things Jeep is notorious for, overheating, and shit electrical.

I've gone through mine, as have a few others here. Completely gone through my harnesses, replaced wire, increased wire gauge, improved and increased grounds.....etc.....

My shit ain't broke and I dont' talk out my ass. I see nothing but BS out of the two you.

Post up, let us all see your work.

And some numbers.

Nice work.

I am curious why the sideways battery? I have no doubt there is a reason for it.

So.... I will start by saying that my dick is bigger and it can handle the load of 160 amps on stock wiring ;)

Having said that - folks... Chill..... As the original poster I will repeat what wss buried someplace in the thread already - it's a jeep but not xj and the 160 alternator is stock. Furthermore I will explain why am I looking to upgrade. The issue came about while towing my trailer and a battery that dropped in charge wouldnt come back up during the 12 your drive. I was able to bring up the battery at home with a big charger.
Granted the alternator might not be able to do what those new fancy chargers do nowadays but I kind of expected for it to at least twitch from the 10.5V a bit.... So my searches yielded what some call big 3 upgrades which mean improving alternator to ground, battery to ground and alternator to battery positive.... And there it seems to be a common practice to run a second wire in parallel..... Anyways.... Never expected that big of a pissing match resulting in I showed you mine... You show me yours (wiring)

OP has a small penis.....and put it in the wrong forum. Moved to other tech.

Wow ok. That was hard to read through. Anyway I am doing the 160 amp upgrade on my 2000 XJ. The wire upgrade is the only question I have. So I can leave my stock wiring and just add a 4 gage wire from alternator to battery? I know there might be a lot of different ways but this will work right? And if not, does anyone have a picture or diagram of how it needs to be? I can wire up anything, knowing how the wiring is supposed to be, not so great at.

Wow ok. That was hard to read through. Anyway I am doing the 160 amp upgrade on my 2000 XJ. The wire upgrade is the only question I have. So I can leave my stock wiring and just add a 4 gage wire from alternator to battery? I know there might be a lot of different ways but this will work right? And if not, does anyone have a picture or diagram of how it needs to be? I can wire up anything, knowing how the wiring is supposed to be, not so great at.

Yes, you can add the wire from the alt to the battery.

Back