• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire opinions for a daily driver in Colorado?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, this is a repost from another smaller forum.. Hoping to get a few more eyes and opinions....

I've seen TONS of opinion threads all over different forums regarding tires. I'm not sure if there's more tire threads or death wobble threads. But so much of a decision is based on the driving patterns and local wheeling terrain that I can take 90% of the opinions and discard them.

My question is - What do you think is the best all-around tire for a daily driver (i.e. 60 miles/day) who wheels moderate trails maybe once or twice a month in Colorado, but occasionally tries the harder stuff? Size would be 33x12.5x15.

Here are all the tires I've looked at so far, but not limited to this list at all:
- Goodyear Duratrac (I'm concerned about the thinner sidewall)
- BFG M/T KM2
- Mickey Thompson MTZ ($$$$)

I was hoping that Mike guy would have an opinion, but he ran away.. Thanks!

I second the bfg at. For a daily driver in this state especially if you do snow highway driving they will be a lot safer then a MT.

How do you like the BFG A/T's on the rocks / trails? I realized I titled this thread a little wrong. Should have been "Tire opinions for both a daily driver and trails in Colorado"

I love mine. My only complaint is wet pavement. But as far as snow, mud, ice and rocks are concerned I have been very pleased. I have had mine since May 07 and until this last July my xj was my daily driver and I probably have another solid year of driving left on them.

My 36" Iroks did awesome in the snow/ice on the street. Allowed me to embarass my friends Subaru during a major snow storm a couple years back.

Otherwise refer to my post on COJeeps.

I haven't wheeled anything real hard with them but have been running them for ten years on different trucks and never lost a tire. And I have only gotten stuck once when I high centered my xj in deep snow and no tire would have helped with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is called " Pick Your Poison " !! There are more opinions here than fleas on Yellaheeps hairy arse..... :D One persons love affair is anothers mortal enemy! My advice is find something you like and try it! There are some things that you should seek advice on but tires are not one of them. Oil and tranny fluid is another subject full of opinions....... Why you might ask...... well, it is a matter of your build and driving style! No tire reacts the same for every user!

Exactly. Different drivers, different vehicles, different terrain, etc will all add up to make the exact same tire perform great for some and poorly for others.

Ya my opinion is to take the bfg at's and shove em. I think they suck. Sure they clean out with enough wheel spin. Everything cleans out with wheels speed. Ask Kiefer. He went from bfg at's to kevlars and realized what traction was.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/hankook/product/submitProductSize.do?r=COSINT%7Cpc%7C80922&pc=10860

Is a great road tire. great life. amazing in the snow - comparable to the duratracs without the noise. get em at ford by end of month you get $100 back too.
buy road hazard and get what tire you want make em replace em if they blow up.

why do i dislike the bfg at?

its the same design since what? 86??? do you use the same phone, microwave, tv, or anything from then? No. Why? technology changes, and so do tires. For most people the bfg at's work great, cuz they drive on main roads and on nothing too challenging. the difference in tires is most noticable at less than 5mph. when there is no wheel speed and you need traction the most. good siping and clean out is important. the at's have an interlocking tread pattern, trapping any sand water or snow.

but pick your own tires, youll like what you learn when you try em for yourself. your driving and rig set up make a HUGE difference as well.

I'll bite. I had bfg at's when I first got my rig. They were a good all around tire snow was awesome, rocks were okay just didnt bite as good as the MT/R. Another option to look at is firestone destination A/T's we have them on my parents Tahoe and we like them a lot. A little bit more aggressive tread then other A/Ts I've seen.

Goodyear Duratrac - Had them last year on the jeep. Had 33's. There a great tire on the road, great in the snow to. Have a good millage rating on them. Sidewall is a little thin but I never had a problem with them at all. Put them down to about 14psi and they did great. They just werent a rock crawling tire. They did on in the rock, but were out beat by other tires. There more of a AT tire.

BFG M/T KM2 - Have am right now, 35's. Great tire in the rocks when dry, hook up great and do great. But when there wetness they slip and do ok. Ive been beat by a set of MTR's. I have had more wheel sping getting up things then the MTR's did. Seam to do ok in the snow. But when its slick aroun on the road, there still a mud tire and just slip and slip. a little noisy on the road to

Last edited:
I'd heard a suggestion at some point to take a set of KM2's and sipe the inner lugs, leaving the outers intact. Supposed to greatly improve slick surface traction but leave big lugs on the outside to grab on rocks. ??

I'm on my third set to BFG AT/KO's and they get good wear and work fine. They are awesome in Moab and work fine on the trails here in Colorado.

Thanks all for the input. Good stuff. My previous set of tires were the BFG A/T's, but when I went bigger I wanted something more aggressive, perhaps a little too aggressive for my current driving pattern. Maybe it's just me, but an XJ on 4" of lift with 33's just looks odd without a somewhat aggressive tire on it.

great road tire. great life. amazing in the snow - comparable to the duratracs without the noise.

Compared to what I'm currently running, pretty much any A/T tire would be almost silent. My almost worn out Pro Comp M/T's are loud as heck.

i would suggest duratracs or mtr kevlars..

i like the km2s also, but no real experience w/them.

i had bfg a/ts, and they were good, but i think the duratracs or kevlars are better.

why do i dislike the bfg at?

its the same design since what? 86??? do you use the same phone, microwave, tv, or anything from then? No. Why? technology changes, and so do tires. For most people the bfg at's work great, cuz they drive on main roads and on nothing too challenging. the difference in tires is most noticable at less than 5mph. when there is no wheel speed and you need traction the most. good siping and clean out is important. the at's have an interlocking tread pattern, trapping any sand water or snow.

That is a stupid reason to dislike the greatest AT ever made............. Changing the BFG AT would be like changing the Coke formula....... Oh yeah thats right some people dislike change ...... especially when it works so well! :twak:

Come on now Ira, don't tell me you didn't absolutely love the flavor of New Coke.

I agree in that regard, you don't fix what isn't broken. The BFG A/T KO is a very tried and true all around good tire. There are tires that are better suited to one task or the other but the BFG is god at pretty much everything. I just think o something thats going to wheel a lot you'll want a more aggressive tire like the KM2 or Kevlar. I actually wish they still made the KM1, I never saw any reason to change it. Always worked very well for me on my XJ. Did just fine on the snow/ice in town and also did good on the trail. It wasn't too loud and had very good tread life. I have no experiance with the KM2 though.

That is a stupid reason to dislike the greatest AT ever made............. Changing the BFG AT would be like changing the Coke formula....... Oh yeah thats right some people dislike change ...... especially when it works so well! :twak:
Im gonna build a rig, and have several sets of tires on wheels ready to mount up. Imma take it up and down indy/liberty and see just what happens. Imma guess it wont look so good for the a/t's. Then with same rig and driver there wont be any excuses...:wstupid:

Back