• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Regearing for dummies

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
Searched for the awnser to my question without success....I want to regear to 4.56, Is it possible to gear the (transfer case) to 4.56 and leave the ring and pinions alone? I have 2000 XJ with 3.5" custom lift. I am locked in the rear(8.25) and open in the front(D30). If this is possible, does it work well? will things break? I know just about nothing about gearing. Currently I am running 31" tires and am trying to set myself up for 33" or 34" tsl's. Eventually I want to swap out the D30 for a D44 but for now I think I should be safe with 33" tires.

I got pulled over today going doorless....cop started getting red faced when I explained to him that it was not illeagle....I explained that I would wait while he radio'd in the question. He came back with an attitude talking about how it was retarded to drive without doors. I asked him how much he knew about off roading, he said, "Nothing," and that if he were to ever go off road he would get a Wrangler. I clapped my hands at him and said, "If I was making the big bucks like you mabey I could afford a wrangler one day...LOL." sarcasticly. While he was walking back to his cruiser I asked him if he wanted to take a ride.

Last edited:
HaZakated said:
I know just about nothing about gearing.

It shows. :laugh3:

Seriously though, you can get a 4:1 low range gearset for the 231 T-case, but it still leaves your high-range performance lacking if you don't regear the differentials.

Everything about this post scares me!!

Michael

Regearing IS NOT for Dummies

Setting up gears has the tightest tolerance of any thing in a vehicle and takes the most patience, skill, and experience. It is not something to jump into lightly. One mistake and the gears are toast.

Last edited:
HaZakated said:
I got pulled over today going doorless....cop started getting red faced when I explained to him that it was not illeagle....I explained that I would wait while he radio'd in the question. He came back with an attitude talking about how it was retarded to drive without doors. I asked him how much he knew about off roading, he said, "Nothing," and that if he were to ever go off road he would get a Wrangler. I clapped my hands at him and said, "If I was making the big bucks like you mabey I could afford a wrangler one day...LOL." sarcasticly. While he was walking back to his cruiser I asked him if he wanted to take a ride.

Cheeky bugger. I thought state troopers shot on site for that kind of thing?

Btw, if you know nothing about gears your REALLY need to take this to someone that knows what they are doing. They may even have set up kits on the shelf waiting to go.

In no way shape or form was I planning on doing this myself...I have a buddy that has done this many times, so I can observe. I hear that the gears must be timed. There is a write up in JP magazine on it that I caught a little of.

I wouldn't of cared about him pulling me over for going doorless, its the fact that he mentioned the word retarded and my XJ in the same sentence. I dont know about you all, but my XJ is like a third leg to me. An officer of the LAW in my opinion should have phrased himself differently. Him stating his opinion about the Jeep being doorless as retarded, would be like me walking in to a NAXJA forum about gearing telling OLD MAN that he is wrong and I am right. 5.0. steped into my arena. Some cops around here think that they can make laws as they go. I guess Im a rebel....always have been. Any chance I can get to ride the line, I do, as long as I dont cross it. Im 25 now and I suppose its about time to settle down a bit....mabey

LOL

Thanks, you bastid!

Coffee doesn't come out of keyboards very well.

HaZakated said:
...I have a buddy that has done this many times, so I can observe.

An officer of the LAW in my opinion should have phrased himself differently.

Im 25 now and I suppose its about time to settle down a bit....mabey

If you have a buddy that has done gear many times, talk to him about what ratio you should get and have him or an expert put them in for you.

I find it funny that the officer should phrase himself differently but you apparantly do not? FYI, the police are here to protect you and I. If he didn't pull you over I would have been upset at him!!

Act your age.

Only my .02

You need to regear the axles to compensate for larger tires on the street. The gear ratio in the transfer case are only going to affect the over all gear ratio when you are in "Low range".

Michael

He wheels a toyota you wheel an XJ or MJ...case and point

I dont exactly know what you ment by this due to the fact that I kept calm and collect throuout the entire encounter. I didnt see any need for him to use the name retarded when refering to my Jeep is all I was saying. I could have filed a complaint for slander against him (I wouldnt of won it, but Police hate when stuff goes on thier record.) I have the outmost respect for a police officer that is here to serve and protect.....I have the outmost respect for a police officer that pulls me over for being doorless.....it's the word RETARDED coming from his mouth twice that causes me to loose respect for him. Had he asked me why, who, what, where? I would have respectfully awnserd him.

I break no laws, I hold my own. I dont drink,drugs,ect.ect. What is my age, and who are you to tell me to act it???

thats cool, I get the point....you all are just jelous because you wish you had a big one like myself. I understand, ya know, its not easy having such a big one.....especially when everyone wants one. Mabey one day, you will have a big one too. Dont be sad and hate....

Its nice to know that there are people out there who enjoy hearing and interesting story about what happened to me today, and what my opinion on the matter was.

GAME OVER

HaZakated said:
you all are just jelous because you wish you had a big one like myself. I understand, ya know, its not easy having such a big one.....especially when everyone wants one. Mabey one day, you will have a big one too.

A big what?

I think we are headed down that road of "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch."

Go be a smart ars to the Law and what happens next... You paint a bulls eye on everyone who enjoys our sport.

I'm in the Military, and I realize that when I'm in uniform, whether I want to or not, people take what I say and do as a representation of the Military. I mind myself so I don't give a bad image to my friends that serve with me.

Keep that in mind when you are talking about XJ's or wheelin' in general. :lecture:

HaZakated said:
Searched for the awnser to my question without success....I want to regear to 4.56, Is it possible to gear the (transfer case) to 4.56 and leave the ring and pinions alone? I have 2000 XJ with 3.5" custom lift. I am locked in the rear(8.25) and open in the front(D30). If this is possible, does it work well? will things break? I know just about nothing about gearing. Currently I am running 31" tires and am trying to set myself up for 33" or 34" tsl's. Eventually I want to swap out the D30 for a D44 but for now I think I should be safe with 33" tires.

To answer your original question( sorry to ruin it guys) you are going to want to get 4.56 for the 33s or 34s. That is the lowest that your rear axle can go. Depending on what you do, you might be able to get away with the D30 and C8.25 if you are nice on the gas. You shouldnt really lock the front unless you do solid shafts and bigger Ujoints. You could, but you might snap something. This hopefully will get you started.

HMMMMM
a twenty five year old talkin smack to a cop.. hmmm
yea good move ...

not sure how it works where you live but round these parts ...
its his word agaist yours ... and you talkto a PIG like that In LV ..at the very least
you will get a nice ticker for no seatbelt ....$85 I believe , could be more..
oh yea dont matter if ya had one on ethier..
and if its Henderson( a suburb of LV) youll prolly fall down at least once;)

Interesting thread...
why can't you run a front locker? for 33"s on the D30? i do and I have ran some hardcore trails with it.
4.56's is the way to go. and have it done by a blablablablabla.... hasta
next time choose the tone in which to speak to the officer. give him the respect that he is comanding and don't be smirk. simply be courtious and ask him to show you the code book. not this, "I will wait for you to call it in."
its not that you gave jeepers a bad name. but by making the cop feel like an ass, you simply painted a big red "X" on your jeep. he is going to look for something when he is in just the right mood. all he needs is some extra time and the moodset to nail you for something. then he will search the book and look your jeep over for some little thing to nail you on.

Back