• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a SS cat-back system...that won't rust....

XpedientJ

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced the cat-back section, just a few years back, and...while I tend to like to upgrade when doin' stuff, I though I might get the same 16 years the OEM system lasted, from a standard current offering... Wrong.
Full breach/separation just in front of the rear hanger......which explains the recently-noted (no pun intended, there....) change in exhaust sound.

Now, lookin' to do it again, and do it right.

Was about to go with the Banks Monster, #51360, system, but...saw assertions that it isn't as 'stainless' as one might wish.

Thus, with the other, albeit more-costly, offerings out there, I thought I would ask if anyone has some time-proven results to report with any SS system.

(for a 'northeast-serving', PR of Marxachusetts, '99 XJ)

Thanks much!!!

No edit option...??

Will add that.....ideally, not looking for too much output-sound-volume increase...

I installed a Bank's Monster exhaust on my 1997 XJ four years ago.
The pipes have a light, surface coating of rust but rust isn't much an an issue Southern California.
The muffler was extremely loud, for a DD, and was replaced with something quieter within six months. The muffler has sat out on the side of the garage since and and is still rust free.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157681111620223/

I believe this is the tail pipe I am running:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mandrel-Be...331791?hash=item4840887c0f:g:hEwAAMXQHDlRfJJk

Note that there are no hangers welded on it. Those have to be added, either using the old ones from your existing system, or a competent exhaust shop can bend new ones from hanger stock they should have on hand.

Whatever stainless pipe you get you will find that it will soon look rusty. It should not develop the flaking rust that mild steel develops though. The alloys required for mandrel bending require some compromises on the resistance to corrosion front, more so than is required of the sheet metal that goes into a muffler.

I also have a Banks Monster exhaust system with a Magnaflow high flow cat on my 96 XJ. I bought new stainless clamps and hangers for the system.

My main concern is not replacing the system every year,(lost track of replacement stock systems) and so far two years in on a Michigan jeep and its holding up just fine. The muffler does have an aggressive tone, but to me it sounds healthy, and not like its a go cart.

The biggest reason for the noise in the cabin though is the sound chambers created by the large voids in the unibody and the crappy carpet/sound deadening.

I plan on filling those voids with foam and using reasonable sound deadener with a rubber floor 1/4 thick. This should eliminate the sound resonance issues.

I also have a 2001 XJ with a Walker Quiet Flow SS on it and its a pretty soft but deep tone. It actually sounds really good with not a lot of interior cabin resonance. My only problem with it is it was not stainless and it only lasted 2 winters before the holes showed up. If they make a stainless version it might be worth looking into. The muffler was a lot larger than the banks though.

I like the banks system its nice and it holds up. But if you dont like a aggressive tone and wont be doing some sound proofing dont go for it. I would not use anything other than stainless though and that limits options.

Good luck on your search.

I believe this is the tail pipe I am running:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mandrel-Be...331791?hash=item4840887c0f:g:hEwAAMXQHDlRfJJk

Note that there are no hangers welded on it. Those have to be added, either using the old ones from your existing system, or a competent exhaust shop can bend new ones from hanger stock they should have on hand.

Whatever stainless pipe you get you will find that it will soon look rusty. It should not develop the flaking rust that mild steel develops though. The alloys required for mandrel bending require some compromises on the resistance to corrosion front, more so than is required of the sheet metal that goes into a muffler.

Depends on the type of stainless steel you're using. Summit Racing has a really good chart- https://help.summitracing.com/app/a...f-metal-should-i-choose-for-my-exhaust-parts?

400-series stainless will discolor more than 300-series stainless will. But 300-series is also more expensive because it has more nickel and chrome in it. I also seem to recall that 300-series has less strength than 400-series because of a lower carbon content, but that's not really an issue with exhaust parts.

Depends on the type of stainless steel you're using. Summit Racing has a really good chart- https://help.summitracing.com/app/a...f-metal-should-i-choose-for-my-exhaust-parts?

400-series stainless will discolor more than 300-series stainless will. But 300-series is also more expensive because it has more nickel and chrome in it. I also seem to recall that 300-series has less strength than 400-series because of a lower carbon content, but that's not really an issue with exhaust parts.

That confirms what my research seemed to indicate. That 304 is better then 409. I was considering running a Borla muffler and tailpipe on my '00 because it is supposed to be 304 unlike Magnaflow which is 409. Plus it was a little less expensive and more of a straight bolt on. Just ended up going Walker in the end though.

Back