• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 taken a dump?

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
This thing is scaring the poop outa me at certain speeds. Read some writes ups and only concluded what it couldn't be. Heres the scenario at certain speeds like 55, 62ish and maybey going 45 down hill or any speed going down hill above 30 my tranny will down shift and upshift continually untill I slam on the gas it will then down shift untill I get up to an adequate speed for it to properly shift into correct gear. Going from this youd think the tps is in need of replacment but the other problem im having is the harsh shifting into 2nd and reverse only but if I let off the gas to just the right position before going into second it will shift smoothly.I have a reciept from some mechanic in san jose his writting is hard to read but it looks like 3 years ago the clutch hub, tourque converter and "clutches 4 plates" ? were replaced along with the gaskets. So we know it cant be any of those unless he did a bad job. The tranny fluid looks kinda brown so most likely that hasn't been replaced for 3 years because there's no reciept for that. I just purchased this rig and the previous owner was a real doush he paid $1300 to put a new muffler cat and used ex. manifold in. Its a 87 laredo w/ a d44 and i think a np242 if that helps any.

That's one of the things I hate most about autos and why I like having mine manually controlled, there are many instances where they just can't make up their mind as to what gear they want to be in. Now your instance may be worse than normal, and if it is not a problem with the TPS or TV cable (is the TV cable properly adjusted?) and is in fact an internal problem with the tranny, I definitley would not look into rebuilding it, people literally give away AW4s of the 87-90 variety, and of the 91+ variety are still very cheap.

Back