• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad leak after rms and pan gasket

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
I was installing a new pan gasket and rms and lightly put a very tiny scratch in the lower main cap where the rms seal sits. I also barely and I mean barely nicked the rms seal where it sits in the lower main cap. I now have a constant stream of oil coming out of the back when running. I put rtv on the main cap on both sides extending at a 45 degree angle just like the manual shows. I also put rtv on four corners of oil pan gasket where it meets the block as described. I'm thinking either the scratch/nick is the issue but am leaning toward not having rtv somewhere I should. The manual says to put rtv on the back of the cap where it meets the block? All the way around the on the back face? It may also be the oil pan gasket fell in on the back side when moving it around. I tied fishing line in some holes to keep it straight but it was tight getting it back in and it moved. Any thoughts. I dont have time to redo this and will probably take it somewhere to get fixed.

im guessing its the pan gasket on the back. i dont think a tiny nick could cause a stream like you are describing. but i could be wrong

it should be the lip is towards the front. i have a 2000 4.0 btw. sorry for not putting that down. i got the rms with the wings originally and after pulling the main cap i found out i have the one with out wings completely round. so thats why i put the bead of gasket maker i got from jeep for 16 bucks on at a 45 degree angle. it leaks a steady stream constant. has to be the pan gasket?

at this point i'd take the rms leaking a small pool everyday. keeping that rear part of the gasket where it comes down into the pan in a correct orientation seems impossible and you cant see it so thats why i bolted it up thinking it was good.

I'd get the correct replacement Rear Oil Seal part. My reading of your problem is that you used a differently designed part, right? Trying to simply 'fill', or otherwise modify a critical part like that with RTV just won't give you the correct repair. Consider the notion that many engines in the past have had the RMS 'blown-out' by adding too much oil, thusly causing the pressures to exert undue amounts of oil against the seal, (kabloooie), especially against a 'weak' seal. It would also appear that the newer grade synthetic oils will 'loosen-up' RMS's that are past their 'Half-Life', i.e., about to go out anyway... That issue happened to me when I was forced to use the newer oils.., as here in Alaska one is lucky to get anything close to what is needed. (Between the aforementioned, and chinese crap, and our dear leader's moves to destroy the American way of life via taxation to spread the wealth.., it's a wonder any of us can maintain ideals). However, your idea that the rear pan gasket material might have 'fall'in-in', may also be your problem, (Too?). Hell'a-va note if you have both issues going on at the same time. I agree with 1990JEEPXJ that a small scratch, or nick would cause copious amounts of oil to pass through.., maybe a few drops here, and there...
POI: There will be mechanics that will tell you that your issue will take 5 hours to remedy, (as happened to me). Think hard about that. I could do my 258 engine's RMS at lunchtime. However, the 4.0 requires a bit more finese to remove, and wrangle stuff around. I hate doing that crap on my back anymores.., so I am looking to have someone else do it for me. I'd be happy to just pass on a hundred dollar bill to get it done on a lift, with my assistance ofcourse. Best wishes

EDIT: I agree with 1990JEEPXJ--("i dont think a tiny nick could cause a stream like you are describing"); that a small scratch, or nick would NOT, I repeat NOT, cause copious amounts of oil to pass through..,

I'm having this issue as well. Mine a small puddle about 2.5" in diameter when stopped or sitting. Does someone have a pic of the front side of the seal, I know it says the seal lip towards the front but that's way to simple for me and either side looks like it could go forward. I've done the seal twice with the same results, first one shaved a tiny bit off the top of the seal as I didn't know how to use the plastic tool they give you. The second time the seal went in no problems.

And do you need the metal/rubber bracket on the back of the pan? I'm using a rubber felpro gasket.

Tsill it seems you need to redo the job. You might haved missed something? The nicks should not effect it. When you get a chance redo it and it should be ok. Be sure your using the one piece gasket.
Ron

Tsill it seems you need to redo the job. You might haved missed something? The nicks should not effect it. When you get a chance redo it and it should be ok. Be sure your using the one piece gasket.
Ron

1 piece gaskets FTW :) I punched a hole in my oilpan on my last wheeling trip so I'm not looking forward to changing it all out...

Back