• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help identifying oil leak

winkosmosis

NAXJA Forum User
The right side and bottom of my oil pan are covered in oil. The left side is completely dry. The bottom of the filter is also oily, but not the top. I can't see any leak above the filter.

If it's the oil pan gasket, is there any way for oil to get from there to the filter? Or does the oil on the filter indicate that that's where the leak is?

I really hope it's not the rear main seal again. I had it changed about 7 months ago.

Here are some pics:

Bottom of filter
filter.jpg

RMS
rms.jpg

Dry left side of pan
oilpanleft.jpg

Check the back of the valve cover gasket for a leak.It could be running down the back of the motor and the wind could be carrying it to other places.It does look like it may be the RMS though.

Also the thing that the oil filter screws onto (sorry can't remember what it's called right now) might need a new O ring inside it.[/QUOTE]
2xs also.I think it has 3 o-rings in it.

hmmm... check the distributor mounting gasket and oil filter adapter o-rings IMO. They're cheaper and easier than an RMS job.

If that doesn't fix it, suspect valve cover gasket, minor head gasket seepage, or oil pan gasket / RMS issues. I'd degrease the motor (stay away from the sensors on the intake manifold) and wait for the leak to reoccur and thus point the issue out more clearly before doing those gaskets though.

It'd require a lot of wind, I would bet on other sources. The elbow thing is the oil filter adapter, a gasket set for it should run you around 10 bucks or less. Get a T-60 size (iirc, might be a 55, verify this because a 55 will be loose in the bolt and will shear off and make your life difficult) torx bit with a removable ratchet drive section, punch the bit out of the ratchet drive part, and stick a box wrench on it. Works great between the frame rail and the OFA.

Don't overlook the easy stuff though, try replacing the filter. The gasket on it could be screwed up, always coat them with oil before installing.

Always diagnose and repair oil leaks from top to bottom. Many RMSs have been replaced needlessly because leaks above them weren't addressed first. It don't matter which way the wind blows. It matters which way the oil flows. New poem.

Part of your problem is right there. There are washer type things that go above the rubber o-rings on the valve cover. It also looks like the correct gasket wasn't used as the valve cover is too close to the head.

Last edited:
I just poked around and now I don't think it's the valve cover gasket. It looks like it's leaking in this pic but that's because of the flash. In reality that isn't wet oil on the head, it's old grimey oil. Even at the back it's not wet, just dry black residue.
It actually seems to get wetter lower down. The lower part of the head is wetter, and the engine block is even wetter. But neither is fresh oil. Could the head gasket be slowly leaking and causing oil to migrate upward??

The only fresh oil I can feel is on the bottom of the filter and of course on the oil pan. Could it be that distributor gasket that's leaking?

Could be distributor gasket and/or Oil Filter Adapter o-rings. I suggest you apply some degreaser, wash it off, and then run the engine and observe for yourself.

it seems almost any oil leak migrates to the area between the oil pan and bell housing. definately do the degreaser suggestion it worked great for me before

EXACTLY. It always seems to drip off the lowest part of the engine at the rear, hence many rear main seals have been replaced needlessly or hastily without proper diagnosis. Oil, like other unpleasant liquids, flows downhill according to a wise old plumber.

Back