• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine(motor Mounts) Questions??HELP

cbert1234

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 91 XJ limited, had my engine rebuilt about 7-8 months ago(16,000) when they did the engine I had them do everything including the motor mounts. Well now when I acclerate fast I feel a hard/loud clunking under my feet, and as long as I keep the throttle down nothing happens, but as soon as I let off the gas from acclerating hard it clunks back. I have now confirmed with 2 shops the left motor mount is bad, would that be causing the clunk when acclerating and the clank whenI let off the gas??the rubber being bad on the motor mount?Any suggestions would be great!!Hard to change the motor mount on the driverside???Thanks!!

Last edited:
The motor mount would cause that, but also check the tranny mount closely. It's possible one bad mount could cause the other to fail prematurely.

It's easy to replace, just us a jack under the oilpan with a block of wood between the pan and the jack. Then use the jack to support the engine while replacing the motor mount.

Back