• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine management conversion questions

Dragonlich1961

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking aloud.
i got to talking with a coworker today, is it possible to convert an obd 1 jeep to use an obd 2 engine management while still keeping the jeep function as before.
im talking about using only the engine computer from an obd2 jeep while still keeping the obd 1 guages, fuel system, trans controller. miniamal modification of the rest of the jeep's systems, ac heater radio fan control.

jeep in question is a 94 aw4 with future plans for a stroker 4.6. hence the want for an obd 2 engine system, i want the ability to tune the engine better than making sensor biasing devices and fooling the computer.

I know the grand cherokee's use a bcm which must also get wired in. not sure on jeep xj's.
i think i remember reading somewhere that the obd 1 guages are direct feed guages instead on using the computer the translate.

this is only theroy. i know all the sensors will have to change over to obd 2 sensors, as well as custom wiring to merge the two harnesses.
Coworker in question is use to doing LS converions and tuning.
fuel systems are diffrent( return vs returnless.) late model's use a coil pack vs dizzy. is it possible?

Yes, it's been done before.

The TCM is pretty much stand alone and can be last as is, you can either build a patch harness to go from the SBEC PCM to the JTEC PCM or chop the end off of the harness and splice in the JTEC Connectors. All of the sensors are the same and it will work, all you need to do is wire in a battery temp sensor and obviously an OBD2 plug. This is all assuming you're going to use a 97-99 computer and keep the distributor, if you want to run the coil rail you just need to pinout and run the extra circuits and use an 00-01 computer.

Back