• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll cage that bolts in, clamps, no welding

in hindsight I searched rockhard cage and found some threads on various threads. I was searching bolt in cages. The threads I found did not address the strength and safety though.

I want to race the Big Sky 200 possibly 2019, and their rules say your cage "Should conform to Score rules regarding tubing size, type, and vehicle weight"

I suspect after reading about your cage needing to be welded 360° in the SCORE rules this cage would not meet their requirement

I think DnC make a nice cage kit for XJs but its welded in, one of my friends has the rockhard cage in her JKU and its nice. id still rather have a welded in cage

If I was competing my jeep should come in under 4000 lbs. It right around that going out to the fishing hole.

3001-4000 lbs SCORE rules require 1.75" tubing and the D&C cage is 1.5"

that's a good point. I thought of that when looking in the driver footwell pics of the rockhard cage. I have an auto so it's fine, but yea with a manual it might be annoying

What class has a max weight?

I did a ton of research on this after rolling my XJ.
My conclusion was that either you go with the D and C, or have one custom built.

To be honest, a good welding shop with proper materials should be able to make you a cage to your specs, and it won't cost a ton more than D and C materials + labor.

I went with D and C, but I also don't compete, just weekend offroad once in a while. if I were competing, I'd probably go with something a bit beefier than D and C, have it tied to the rock rails and other hard points (d &C is bolted to the sheetmetal. )

I have the D&C cage I bolted mine to the floor and then welded it to the unibody. I also welded it to the A and D pillars. If you don’t weld your cage to the pillars it will shake or shimmy while you are driving.

yeah, I really like the d and c. so far nothing is blocked, doesn't adversely impact entry/exit. well made, really like it.

No you cannot use a clamp in cage it needs to be welded. Why would you want a clamp versus welded anyways?

And which class?

If it's done decently I think you'd be okay with 1.5".

Per SCORE rules as of 2015 I found anything over 2500 lbs requires at least 1.75" tubing so I don't know what you mean I'd probably be fine with 1.5" if it was done recently?

I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I read it needs to be welded 360° around the joints.

I would like to try and race in the stock modified class in Y.O.R.R. in Montana for the big sky 200.

My jeep fits into that class beautifully aside from my nasty stroker which would give me a 10% time penalty. It would just be a blast to run it in a race once.

Oh and the obvious benefits of that bolt in cage would be convenience, ability to remove for paint, changes/mods and so on. I would be able to receive it and bolt it in and not worry about welding it

You'll be shocked what weight you come in at.

Most full race XJ's come in closer to 5,000 pounds.

Per SCORE rules as of 2015 I found anything over 2500 lbs requires at least 1.75" tubing so I don't know what you mean I'd probably be fine with 1.5" if it was done recently?

I mentioned in a previous post in this thread I read it needs to be welded 360° around the joints.

I would like to try and race in the stock modified class in Y.O.R.R. in Montana for the big sky 200.

My jeep fits into that class beautifully aside from my nasty stroker which would give me a 10% time penalty. It would just be a blast to run it in a race once.

Because a buddy and I started the class a complied the stock-mod rules. If the cage is well made that's the most important part. If your building new then I'd use 1.75" but if it's already done we'd let you race. The penalties are determined by the guys racing in the class. You can always run sportsmen to see how you like it and cheaper entry fees.

Always looking for more people to race.

You'll be shocked what weight you come in at.

Most full race XJ's come in closer to 5,000 pounds.

I agree. I was already shocked. My goal was 3500# and it weighs 4,000 lbs trail ready going to the fishing hole.

Half tank and my tote+OBA in the back as usual its

1960 front and 1980 rear for a total of 3,940. With a 150# cage I'd stay around the same because I'd ditch OBA and my rear tire carrier+hitch to maintain my 4000 lbs

Because a buddy and I started the class a complied the stock-mod rules. If the cage is well made that's the most important part. If your building new then I'd use 1.75" but if it's already done we'd let you race. The penalties are determined by the guys racing in the class. You can always run sportsmen to see how you like it and cheaper entry fees.

Always looking for more people to race.

Right on that's awesome. I live in Kodiak, AK but love MT and some friends and I just want to travel down there to race for fun.

I went back and just re-read that you said "decently" not "recently". I didn't know there was any wiggle room, I just read on the YORR site that it says cages conform to SCORE.

I love the idea of this race because the governing body seems a little more relaxed and it seems like it errors on the side of fun more so than all out competition. For example, allowing guys to race even if they don't meet every requirement and maybe just giving a time penalty.

Right on that's awesome. I live in Kodiak, AK but love MT and some friends and I just want to travel down there to race for fun.

I went back and just re-read that you said "decently" not "recently". I didn't know there was any wiggle room, I just read on the YORR site that it says cages conform to SCORE.

I love the idea of this race because the governing body seems a little more relaxed and it seems like it errors on the side of fun more so than all out competition. For example, allowing guys to race even if they don't meet every requirement and maybe just giving a time penalty.

Think of them as guidelines. We have a ton of rigs around here that raced in the 70's and 80's. Alot of stuff was done different then and we tried to make the rules those these trucks could be raced today without having to change everything. Like often the engines don't match what was stock. No sense in making someone spend money to swap out an engine that runs as long as it's not a huge advantage in the class, etc.

As well as allowing some flexibility to allow changes to make the vehicle more durable, which is cheaper in the long run.

Back