• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers cut in and out.

XJ99JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 1999 xj and my speakers aren’t working right. I have a aftermarket pioneer head unit and two pioneer speakers up front and Sony Xplods in the rear. Whenever I turn the radio past a certain number like 40 the speakers start cutting in and out. I checked the wiring behind the head unit and everything seems to be connected just fine. Any suggestions. I also don’t know if not having an amp would cause this because my xj didn’t come with one. Thanks

Failures of the drivers door wire harness are very common. Visually inspect and test wire continuity of the front door wire harness, the speaker connections, and the head unit installation with your volts ohms multi-meter. How was the install performed, twisted wires and tape, crimped butt connectors, or soldered connections ?

Have you researched the stereo and the speakers to see if the speakers are rated to handle the head unit output and have the correct Ohms? IDK what 40 is on that radio but most car stereos cannot reach the highest volume setting without distortion.

Last edited:
Is it only cutting in and out when you turn the volume up high? Or is it more random, like when you hit a bump? If it is random bumps check the wiring on the speaker, I had some frayed wires that were shorting out the speaker. If it is caused by turning up the volume too high the stero may not be powerful enough to drive the aftermarket speakers and you may need an amp

Back