• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch fan hub bearing

Flowers

NAXJA Forum User
This is on an 98 4.0L

Is the hub pressed in the bracket? The FSM doesn't say anything about replacing the bearing and mine is shot. There was metal shavings flying all over the place after the hub ejected two of the roller bearings. The engine bay is covered with metal flake glitter.

Flowers

It is a 98 and original, replace the whole fan clutch now, use one from a dealer. I think mine is starting to show signs of not working right. Daughter was practicing parallel parking in the driveway and the electric was coming on every 4 or 5 minutes, never did that before.

Rich,

It's not the clutch fan itself. It's the bearings in the hub that the fan bolts to. I completely disassembled it last night to remove the bracket that the fan and the A/C compressor bolt to. Unless the shaft can be pressed out to install new bearings, I'm going to have to replace the entire bracket. Assuming it's a dealer only item, it will probably cost as much as one Walker Evans beadlock!

Flowers

you need to order a new a/c mounting bracket. cost is around $90. The a/c bracket comes with bearing and shaft for the clutch fan.

I just went through the same thing. You may want to replace the clutch fan at the same time. Most say to get the fan from the dealer due to clearence.

Ditto, the only way to get the replacement bearing is to buy a new AC mount bracket. I changed mine about 18 months ago and it was $75 for the bracket.

Once you examine the bracket then you will see the bearing you will be impressed with how large it is. It a dealer part so don't even try to go to the parts store.

Come to think of it it may be a different support bracket but since the belt routing and accessories have moved between my eyhar and your year XJ. Just tell the parts guy you want to buy the bracket with the fan bearing, they should get you set up.

If that bearing failed then pick up replacement idler bearings, just smart money. You can buy the idler pulley/bearing assy at any parts store you like.

Be careful when you tell them what you want. I had my dealer order all the spare bearings and ended up getting one that I did fit anywhere.

If yours has the bearing shaft sticking out of the a/c mount, then ask for the a/c mount. For some reason, they don't call it the clutch fan bearing & a/c mount bracket.

Back