NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 31st, 2017, 06:24
NAXJA Member #1145

Re: XJ LM7 5.3 swap

Are we certain that tiny little radiator will cool this engine?
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Are we certain that tiny little radiator will cool this engine?
itīs not so tiny, itīs griffin 22" x 19" x 3" thick, that should work
racer32 uses the same and reports no overheating problems
we will see
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:00
NAXJA Member #1145

Are you going to use an engine-driven fan, or electric?
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old July 31st, 2017, 07:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Are you going to use an engine-driven fan, or electric?
Electric fan with PWM modulator so I can ran it with lower RPM all the time like mechanical fan + GM PCM control + manual switch when needed fan always ON
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:58
NAXJA Forum User

I run the same size rad with no issue

It gets to about 206 sitting in traffic but that's it
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:16
NAXJA Member #1145

Does it extend below the normal radiator's lower edge? got any pics of it installed from the front without the grill, for example?

I am curious if it does extend lower, how is it protected, and why don't more people use this sort of affair to cool a 4.0?
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:19
NAXJA Member #1145

I may have said this before, so if I did, I apologize- and this is surely not to besmirch your work-

I think I'd add a lot more boxing to those motor mounts.
Old July 31st, 2017, 10:24
NAXJA Member #1145

Also, the Jeep CTS adapter is awfully long, with no apparent way to vent.

I say this only because when I did the 350 swap into my S10, I ran a similar adaptation for a BMW dual-range temp sensor (so I could use two-speed fans), only to find out that I developed an air bubble below the sensor and so it didn't work- the air pocket insulated/isolated the CTS from the water, so it never tripped my fans. The solution in that case wound up being removing the adapter, tapping a bushing to fit the stock CTS location for the metric threads needed for the BMW CTS, and moving the stock CTS to the head. This removed all the air pockets in vicinity of the factory and BMW CTS, and it's worked a treat since.

That one took me a little while to suss out. I'm just trying to save you some possible headaches trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old August 1st, 2017, 00:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Also, the Jeep CTS adapter is awfully long, with no apparent way to vent.

I say this only because when I did the 350 swap into my S10, I ran a similar adaptation for a BMW dual-range temp sensor (so I could use two-speed fans), only to find out that I developed an air bubble below the sensor and so it didn't work- the air pocket insulated/isolated the CTS from the water, so it never tripped my fans. The solution in that case wound up being removing the adapter, tapping a bushing to fit the stock CTS location for the metric threads needed for the BMW CTS, and moving the stock CTS to the head. This removed all the air pockets in vicinity of the factory and BMW CTS, and it's worked a treat since.

That one took me a little while to suss out. I'm just trying to save you some possible headaches trying to reinvent the wheel.
thatīs a good point. I also noticed the jeep CTS showed a little bit lower temperature than GM CTS but for me the Jeep CTS is only for gauge information purposes. Yesterday I checked the GM fan control and all ran good.

I adjusted the Fan ON temp to 95° C (203°F) and Fan OFF temp to 90°C (194°F) and the coolant temperature stayed within this range without problems. But this was tested only at idling.

What do you thing guys, what is the best operating temperature for this engine?
I looked at other calibrations like corvette, camaro, etc and every model has another fan control temperatures
Old August 1st, 2017, 00:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Does it extend below the normal radiator's lower edge? got any pics of it installed from the front without the grill, for example?

I am curious if it does extend lower, how is it protected, and why don't more people use this sort of affair to cool a 4.0?
it extends not only stock radiator edge, but it extends the lower front crossmember, I will post a pic later
Old August 3rd, 2017, 22:34
NAXJA Member

I run my LS swap at ~197 -to- 201. Runs pretty good at that temp. My second fan is programed the same as yours (on at 204 and off at 194). My third fan only comes on with a/c and the first fan comes on at 165...so its always on. I also run a manual switch...just in case. The stock truck runs around 210 I think and the Corvette at 220. Mine only gets up to 210 when pulling a trailer uphill at 70mph.

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 23:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
I run my LS swap at ~197 -to- 201. Runs pretty good at that temp. My second fan is programed the same as yours (on at 204 and off at 194). My third fan only comes on with a/c and the first fan comes on at 165...so its always on. I also run a manual switch...just in case. The stock truck runs around 210 I think and the Corvette at 220. Mine only gets up to 210 when pulling a trailer uphill at 70mph.
thanks clydefrog. I have only one bigger fan, so I will run it always on with the PWM regulator at low rpm and if the temperature rises above 203°F the PCM with turn on to the max rpm
Old August 29th, 2017, 00:20
NAXJA Forum User

small update:
I have few hudreds of miles on it and have to say this LS swap was the best mod I've ever done to my XJ. The ride is much much better with the V8. It's not about the peak power but the torque delivery in low rpm from this truck engine (LM7) is beautiful.

All gauges except tach are working. I installed small external tach but in the future I would like to have some modul to work with the stock tach. (novak or a home made modul).

I began to mess with HP tuners and the results are noticable:

First I modified the VE table. I went from this:

to this:

and now the fuel trims are about 0 all the time. I also changed the torque management, MAF table, some shift points, etc.. There is a lot to do with this software.

Yesterday I made some underbody protection. I feel the previous color of my rear dif boring so I decided to go the "rat style" way. I grinded the color away and applied few layers of clear paint.

I also sprayed the fender flares with the underbody coating to get similar texture like the raptor bedliner on my body:

Now the XJ looks like this:

Other things:

Transmission - the 4l60e is whining during the ride so I thing the next big repair will be the overhauling of the trans

Fuel pump - the stock 2001 jeep fuel pump has enough pressure even at WOT (65 psi).

Exhaust - that was a never ending story. First I bought the magnaflow XL chamber muffler, but was too loud for DD, than I bought the Flowmaster 50 delta series - it was a little bit quiter but even thought too loud. The third muffler was the same I used with 4.0 engine but with bigger outlets - dynomax turbomuffler. It was the cheapest but the best sound for me, decent but noticable V8 sound.

If somebody is thinking about LS swap, just do it!
Old August 29th, 2017, 22:38
NAXJA Member

Nice!

Isn't the torque awesome! Looks clean!

Dont know if your intake is still not heat protected (going off the pic above) but on mine I hooked it up to a snorkel for true cold air. If you watch the fuel trims and the intake temp you will start to see it lean out at 150-160 degrees (intake temp F). The biggest power gain I saw on my LM7 was when I made the intake a true cold air intake, HUGE difference in power.

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old August 30th, 2017, 00:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
Nice!

Isn't the torque awesome! Looks clean!

Dont know if your intake is still not heat protected (going off the pic above) but on mine I hooked it up to a snorkel for true cold air. If you watch the fuel trims and the intake temp you will start to see it lean out at 150-160 degrees (intake temp F). The biggest power gain I saw on my LM7 was when I made the intake a true cold air intake, HUGE difference in power.
my filter is just behind the grill besides the rad, so my IAT is the same like the temp outside