NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 30th, 2016, 05:11
NAXJA Forum User

1991 XJ Limited - Project "It's About Time"

Just filled up the tank and apparently I'm getting 14.5 MPG, pretty much in town and under 10 minute drives...I must have a baby foot. Could be due to the fact that the cracked manifold won't let me accelerate above 3000 RPMs but I would have thought the O2 sensor would be making it run falsely rich offsetting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 3rd, 2016, 13:20
NAXJA Forum User

I pulled into the driveway today and realized that coolant was dripping from the front of the passenger side engine bay. Turns out it's an upper radiator hose. I already knew I'm dripping a drop of PS fluid as well, and also know the lower radiator hose is pretty swollen. On top of my exhaust manifold that needs replacing.

The Jeep is parked for a while, consequently. I'm tearing down to do the manifold replacement first, then work my way back out with Brown Dog motor mounts, lower rad hose, PS pump and then upper rad hose. Hopefully I'll solve the leak problems except for my rear main.

Old December 4th, 2016, 07:09
NAXJA Member

Re: 1991 XJ Limited - Project "It's About Time"

Unless that crack is absolutely massive, don't hold your breath for it fixing your running problem.
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:53
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Unless that crack is absolutely massive, don't hold your breath for it fixing your running problem.

Not sure I understand the comment as I wouldn't qualify my jeep for having a problem running. I can stick my hand by the crack and it blows the hairs on my arm and my engine mounts are original to the jeep. It cranks up, drives and performs. It's doesn't perform as well as as it did before I developed the crack. So I'll hold my breath for a bit of improvement, undoubtedly.

Old December 4th, 2016, 21:05
NAXJA Member

Not accelerating past 3k was my point. Sounds more fuel pressure related than an exhaust leak. But those exhaust leaks are annoying as hell.
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Not accelerating past 3k was my point. Sounds more fuel pressure related than an exhaust leak. But those exhaust leaks are annoying as hell.

Interesting you say fuel pressure. When I removed the fuel rail, after pulling a muscle in my neck because the injectors were so stuck in there, I relieved the pressure in the rail only to find the Schrader valve didn't spit any fuel. I honestly can't remember if I pulled the fuel line first, or tried the valve. Either way I recall that being strange.

By the way, has anyone ever hot tanked their intake? Mines pretty nasty and I found a guy who has a bath for aluminum and he'll blast it clean then soak again for $50. Figured I'd give it a try.

Old December 9th, 2016, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

Much better

Old December 9th, 2016, 14:38
NAXJA Member

WOW that looks nice. You may be able to reduce stains by wetting it with armorall.
Old December 9th, 2016, 14:52
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftwelder View Post
WOW that looks nice. You may be able to reduce stains by wetting it with armorall.

Thanks -I like that idea. I believe I'm just going to paint it black. My objective was t necessarily for it to look pretty, but more to remove the CRAZY carbon and gunk deposits in both the intake ports and also the injector ports. It was so dirty and junky that I am willing to bet that not a single injector would seal upon reinstallation.

Also, I'm very paranoid about glass beads in the engine. They washed it at the shop, but I took it home and blew out all threads and ports, then washed in my bathtub then repeated a few times till I felt OK about it.

Old December 10th, 2016, 20:32
NAXJA Forum User

Made in 'Merica!

If you need motor mounts, buy brown dog. Top of the line, and customer service is not notch.

My motor mount rubber was basically gone on the drivers side. Passenger actually wasn't that bad.

Old December 11th, 2016, 18:20
NAXJA Forum User

Getting there - motor mounts done, exhaust manifold mounted and intake manifold painted and mounted. Getting that thing torqued down was not a walk in the park.

Old December 13th, 2016, 14:26
Regular Joe

I just read your build and you have done a great job assembling the parts that work for you. That is what is the most fun. Keep it up.
Old December 13th, 2016, 17:12
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificEd View Post
I just read your build and you have done a great job assembling the parts that work for you. That is what is the most fun. Keep it up.

Thanks! It ain't perfect, but I'm trying to get her back up from a reliability standpoint, then focus on aesthetics again.

It will be around for years to come, so I'm not counting cash right now...

Old December 14th, 2016, 06:32
NAXJA Forum User

what head casting is it? im not 100% sure but the 7120 and the 0630 have the same port setup. but the 0630 does not have the threads for the temperature sensor for the dash. you can drill and tap or make something creative.
Old December 14th, 2016, 17:30
NAXJA Forum User

I got everything buttoned back up to test for fuel leaks. I'm not leaking at the injectors, but I am leaking a few drops from leach fuel line connector going into the fuel rail.

What is the likely cause of this?