NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 5th, 2016, 11:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: My XJ build thread

yea its annoying when it happens. thankfully i only got a little bit of water in the floorboard, probably only like 12-16oz. no worse than spilling a drink. fairly certain its the coil/cap though. i was rinsing off the motor the other day and it started that stuff when i sprayed the passenger side. need to do some more testing but im thinking thats my culprit.

im not a huge fan of mudholes either and when that happened i was rinsing the thicker mud off it. the water is nasty but the bottom is really well packed so its nice to splash through a couple times leaving that area to break up the big mud chunks from the undercarriage.

thanks! winch is on my list but the list is really long haha.
Old August 11th, 2016, 18:14
NAXJA Forum User

Subbed! Looks great!!!
Old September 6th, 2016, 06:07
NAXJA Forum User

got the front brakes sorted out finally.

if someone wants an alternative to the expensive brake options out there. rock auto had all the same parts for 200 shipped. centric premium rotors, centric calipers, and powerstop carbon ceramic pads. after having to do a couple emergency stops on the road trip to the beach and back, im a fan of those powerstops. i am actually looking at getting a set for my GTO.

And finally the payoff.

first time leaving houston with it since building it. made the drive just fine. was a bit low on coolant after we left the beach and made it to my friends new house to check it out. we filled it up and burped the system and my dumbass didnt secure the radiator cap 100% before leaving. got to the gas station and it spewed everything out again. so my wife and i refilled it, reburped it and i secured the cap properly and drove the rest of the way home. ran without the AC on just to minimize heat. sun was going down so it was cooler out. downsides of the drive, my power seat stopped working, im guessing when i got water in the cab. ill address that this week hopefully its just a popped fuse. fuel consumption. thing was getting single digits. it wasnt liking trying to hold OD with the converter locked at 65-70 (rpm was around 1600-1800 so i had to keep it in 3rd.

oh yea, the AC, works great now that the alternator is working correctly. funny how that works.
Old September 7th, 2016, 07:20
NAXJA Forum User

All look beautiful man! might do all that brake stuff, although ill skip on the rotors as i just replaced mine
Old October 18th, 2016, 06:54
NAXJA Forum User

sigh, not the update i was hoping to post.

was going around 70 on the freeway headed to a bbq at my friends shop when all of a sudden a puff sound followed by some knocking and obvious combustion blowing past the headgasket. stupid damn thing. we made it off the freeway but as soon as we hit the surface streets it died and wouldnt restart. we pushed it into the parking lot in the picture. called the wife to bring the tahoe so i could flat tow it home.

it was almost out of coolant, but none in the oil, so im guessing i had a cracked/warped head that was weeping coolant into a cylinder or two, until it was out and overheated. temp guage never moved from 205ish. havent started actual diag on it yet so we will see. it starts up now and no knocking which is good. i havent run it for more than 30 seconds at a time just to try and isolate whats going on.

really was hoping to not spend much money on this thing for a while and go wheel it.

i picked up a 8.25 from a naxja member saturday morning too. was gunna delete the d35 and hopefully go have a lot of fun with it.

thing has me real damn frustrated. mainly with the previous owner. all of the problems i have with it seem to be derived from him being shady af.

Last edited by dantheman!; October 18th, 2016 at 06:57.
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:29
NAXJA Forum User

incase that pic stopped working.

Old October 18th, 2016, 08:49
NAXJA Forum User

I went and got a junk yard motor for $500 and have been using that since, about 10 years. The head on mine was beyond repair and so it was just cheaper and faster to just replace the motor. That motor had no leaks.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:55
NAXJA Forum User

So the exhaust valve on cyl3 got stuck about an 1/8in open. after a long hard decision, i decided im not putting anymore money into it. Its been sold and is leaving me today.

ill post a pic of it leaving and then thatll be that for this thread.

i wish it didnt go this way but with the gtos and the daily drivers ive got plenty of holes to pour money into and the jeep wasnt getting used anyway. bad decision to buy it overall and going full retard building it as well.

next ride in the driveway is going to be my wife's late fathers 72 c10 that we will just be getting running and driving again.
Old January 15th, 2017, 15:43
NAXJA Forum User

Bye jeep

Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:12
NAXJA Forum User

Noooooo
Old January 23rd, 2017, 17:52
NAXJA Member

It's a hard decision to make when we've put forth so much time, money and effort into one of these things. I'm almost there with mine, so I understand completely. Good luck with your future endeavors!
Old January 24th, 2017, 07:55
NAXJA Forum User

I've had mine since 2004ish. I'm never getting my money out of it.