NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 13th, 2012, 19:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Coolant Filter install - 2000 XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post
I sell quite a bit of the 4070 and 4071 filters out of my NAPA store, mainly to fleet operations. On most heavy equipment coolant filters are standard equipment.
Yep, you can't go wrong with a coolant filter. Here's a pic of the coolant filter and plumbing that I put on my Dodge Cummins. I have since replaced the Baldwin with a Donaldson ECF4085 which is rated at 14um absolute. The Donaldson filter is the best filter that I found on the market. And as I noted above, the interval changes are rated at 150,000 miles, 4,000 hours, or 1 year; whichever comes first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmJeeper View Post
As the Doctor said I'd be interested to see what it looks like when cut open.
I will certainly post up. I think you guys will be surprised by how much gung these filters collect.
Old June 17th, 2012, 16:58
NAXJA Forum User

Awesome ideas ! Another thing to add to the to do list........ I just had my original tow package factory brass radiator in my 1990 Renix closed system boiled and rodded out.......... No more $25.00 rod out costs anymore....$75.00 is going rate..... it was 30% plugged after 22 years, if I had installed a filter at the beggining then would never have to pull and rod ever again!........
And does all that additives like water wetter really make a difference on tempature? I am old school and always think of addtives like snake oil......... I might try some of the water wetter type addtive since fresh coolant and radiator rod out.......

What is the best Water Wetter type stuff? Also gotta love Napa, I have one 3 blocks from me and use them all the time.......
Old June 17th, 2012, 20:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Awesome ideas ! Another thing to add to the to do list........ I just had my original tow package factory brass radiator in my 1990 Renix closed system boiled and rodded out.......... No more $25.00 rod out costs anymore....$75.00 is going rate..... it was 30% plugged after 22 years, if I had installed a filter at the beggining then would never have to pull and rod ever again!...............
That’s true. Adding a coolant filter is a cheap method to prolong the life of the cooling system and the heater core. Even water pumps last longer with a clean system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
And does all that additives like water wetter really make a difference on tempature? I am old school and always think of addtives like snake oil......... I might try some of the water wetter type addtive since fresh coolant and radiator rod out.......

What is the best Water Wetter type stuff? Also gotta love Napa, I have one 3 blocks from me and use them all the time.......
There are two major benefits for using the Amsoil Coolant Booster. (1) It can reduce engine temps up to 6 degrees when mixed with 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture and (2) it helps fight radiator corrosion.

“Competitive testing comparing AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost and Red Line Water Wetter® was conducted in an independent laboratory. The ASTM corrosion tests featured in this study are designed to simulate the most grueling conditions cooling systems face, and are the actual test standards the automotive industry relies upon for the approval of engine coolant products.Test results show Dominator Coolant Boost provides enhanced temperature reduction and corrosion protection properties over Red Line Water Wetter.

To test temperature reduction capabilities, controlled engine dynamometer (dyno) tests were performed on a 350 cubic inch Chevy engine with an aluminum block and cylinder heads. In each phase of testing, the engine was operated at 4,500 rpm until coolant temperature stabilized. As benchmarks for the test, straight water coolant stabilized at 220°F and a 50/50 antifreeze/water mixture stabilized at 228°F.

Dominator Coolant Boost
Mixed with 50/50 Antifreeze/Water
6°F reduction
Mixed with Straight Water Coolant
19°F reduction

Red Line Water Wetter
Mixed with 50/50 Antifreeze/Water
3°F reduction
Mixed with Straight Water Coolant
12°F reduction

The Cast Aluminum Alloys Corrosion Test (ASTM D-4340) measures corrosion protection properties in modern automobile and high-performance race engines with aluminum cylinder heads. A cast aluminum puck was heated to 275°F at 28 PSI and exposed to the test coolant mixture for one week. Weight loss of less than 1.0 mg is required to pass the test.

Weight Loss in mg (1.00 max)
Dominator Coolant Boost

Red Line Water Wetter

Water Only

Corrosion Test in Glassware
In the Corrosion Test in Glassware (ASTM D-1384), six metal coupons constructed of the most common metals in automotive cooling systems were totally immersed in aerated coolant mixtures for 336 hours at 190°F. Each test was performed three times to determine the average weight change for each metal. The ASTM sets the “allowable” weight loss maximums for each metal.

Copper weight loss (mg), Allowable 10 max
Dominator Coolant Boost in straight water (1)
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (1)
Water Only (25)

Solder weight loss (mg), Allowable 30 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (6)
Water Only (62)

Brass weight loss (mg), Allowable 10 max
Dominator Coolant Boost in straight water (0)
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (2)
Water Only (23)

Steel weight loss (mg), Allowable 10 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (1)
Water Only (18)

Cast Iron weight loss (mg), Allowable 10 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (0)
Water Only (29)

Cast Aluminum weight loss (mg), Allowable 30 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (16)
Water Only (91)

Simulated Service Corrosion Test
In the Simulated Service Corrosion Test (ASTM D-2570), six metal coupons constructed of the most common metals in automotive cooling systems were exposed to ASTM corrosive water designed to simulate hard and corrosive water in degraded coolant for 1,064 hours at 190°F. Coolant was maintained at a temperature and flow rate equivalent to the operating conditions seen in most passenger vehicles. Corrosive weight loss suffered during the test determines the additive’s corrosion protection properties. The ASTM sets the “allowable” weight loss maximums for each metal.

Copper weight loss (mg), Allowable 20 max
Dominator Coolant Boost in straight water (7)
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (6)
Water Only (66)

Solder weight loss (mg), Allowable 60 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (25)
Water Only (120)

Brass weight loss (mg), Allowable 20 max
Dominator Coolant Boost in straight water (3)
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (5)
Water Only (59)

Steel weight loss (mg), Allowable 20 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (4)
Water Only (54)

Cast Iron weight loss (mg), Allowable 10 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (2)
Water Only (117)

Cast Aluminum weight loss (mg), Allowable 60 max
Red Line Water Wetter in straight water (34)
Water Only (89)"

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rdcb.aspx
Old June 17th, 2012, 22:26
NAXJA Forum User

Very cool info! my kind of reading.......
6 to 19 degrees drop in temp on ratio is good stuff and anti corrosion benifits, I could not tell you how much corrosion I saw when Chrysler changed to the orange extended coolent in vehicles, I still use green in everything............ I might have to try......

I still use straight weight engine oil in everything, still have not jumped on the muilti weight band wagon either...I am stubborn, but stuff does advance, maybe need to change a little..............

Thanks for posting!
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:41
NAXJA Forum User

DE - where did you get that billet aluminum looking filter in the diesel (the green mounts part number comes up as a fuel filter btw)? The donaldson fits the aluminum right? Looking to do this in my XJ. Thanks!!!
Old July 4th, 2012, 16:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsterXJ View Post
DE - where did you get that billet aluminum looking filter in the diesel
I got mine here: http://www.dieselsite.com/19985-2011...ionsystem.aspx

Quote:
(the green mounts part number comes up as a fuel filter btw)?
You can use the WIX Filter Head (Part# 33109) as a coolant filter head.

Quote:
The donaldson fits the aluminum right? Looking to do this in my XJ. Thanks!!!
Yes. Actually the Baldwin, Wix/Napa, and Donaldson will fit both filter heads.
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:30
NAXJA Forum User

Would love to do the coolant filter on mine, I wonder if I can get the parts shipped to the UK...
Old August 7th, 2012, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

This is a fantastic writeup up, one that I'm going to duplicate on myXj soon, but I have a dumb question that I need some clarification on - what is the purpose of having a shut off valve? Wouldn't you want to have this system flowing constantly?
Old August 7th, 2012, 19:58
NAXJA Forum User

Shutoff valve is so you can change your filter without emptying the entire system.
Old August 7th, 2012, 23:00
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post
This is a fantastic writeup up
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post
what is the purpose of having a shut off valve? Wouldn't you want to have this system flowing constantly?
Since the filter is mounted on the low side of the cooling system, a shutoff valve makes filter changes more convenient, otherwise you might get drenched in coolant. I use non-toxic coolant, but I still don’t want to make a mess and lose good quality coolant. The shutoff valves are not needed if you are mounting the filter at the highest point in the system.
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:29
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks! I didn't even think of that for changing the filter. As I said, dumb question! lol
Old December 20th, 2012, 13:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselenthusiast View Post
Yeah, it was a mess. I'm sure the coolant filter will do a good job of keeping the system clean. I put a transmission and power steering filter on all my rigs. They are easy to change and fairly inexpensive.

Any problems with the inline trans filter? I don't care for the idea of cutting a steel line and replacing a section (two technically I guess) of it with rubber hose and clamps. Running PSI is around 80-90 and can get up to 200PSI at higher engine rpms. Seems like it would be a weak link for a possible leak. I can't believe two dinky little hose clamps would last for a long time.
Old December 20th, 2012, 13:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001XJ View Post
Any problems with the inline trans filter? I can't believe two dinky little hose clamps would last for a long time.
The Magnefine is specifically designed to be used as a transmission filter. They have been used for years on many applications without ill-effects. I haven’t had any issues with the magnefine on any of my vehicles.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:33
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001XJ View Post
Any problems with the inline trans filter? I don't care for the idea of cutting a steel line and replacing a section (two technically I guess) of it with rubber hose and clamps. Running PSI is around 80-90 and can get up to 200PSI at higher engine rpms. Seems like it would be a weak link for a possible leak. I can't believe two dinky little hose clamps would last for a long time.
Every auxiliary trans cooler I've seen has similar hose clamps. The pressures you're talking about are inside of the transmission, not in the cooling lines. If the whole system was under pressure, it would just blow out of the filler neck!
Old August 30th, 2013, 21:21
NAXJA Forum User

Does anyone know which direction the coolant is flowing in the 5/8" heater hose? The filter base has "in" and "out" marked on it. Does it really matter?