• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stoker newbie

camojeep88

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, i am about to start the install on my first stroker build in my 88 xj. Engine is somewhat complete. by that i mean injectors, intake, exhaust, throttle body...basically everything the engine needs to run on its own. What else do i need or should i pay attention to and replace while im doing all this? i have a couple new sensors so far and plan on replacing the rest of them. what power steering pump should i use? is there a better alternator setup i could upgrade to? i was thinking of puting ac back in but i think im just gonna leave that out since i currently have nothing now and there is too much going on between the trans cooler and oil cooler. ive invested more money than i would have liked to but i think when its done it will be worth it but i figured ive gone this far i might as well do what i can while i can. i a complete rookie with strokers so any help is appreciated. thank you

Suggest you join the Jeep Stroker forum, a group with a wide range of experience with 4.0 strokers.
https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/index.php?sid=b8c9bc0c5f8c3b6ab56c75939c388488

Many of us run extra coolers and a HD radiator and still have workng A/C, it's nice to have in the summer.
If you need a power steering pump, PSC is a good choice.

i posted on there too. and im do want to run ac but finding the right one is my issue i dont want to go back and forth on which condenser will fit correctly and getting the right hoses. I looked at psc just havent bit the bullet on it yet. wasnt sure if it was worth it or not

What are doing for the engine build itself? Russ is the man to talk to about this.

What are doing for the engine build itself? Russ is the man to talk to about this.

i had a local engine builder do all the work for me. i believe he has talked to russ in the past about it and has connections with scat and comp cams. but its not so much the engine i need help with, its all the other stuff associated with install that im worried about especially since ive changed a few things on the engine like intake is now a 99-01 along with a bbk 4 bolt throttle body instead of the renix and im gonna run the hesco tps adapter.

I hope you have more info than that, all that determines where to go from here.
What crank?
What rods?
What pistons?
What's the CR?
What cam?

I hope you have more info than that, all that determines where to go from here.
What crank?
What rods?
What pistons?
What's the CR?
What cam?

Im running a scat rotating assembly with keith black pistons coompression ratio is 9.5 with a custom ground comp cam. i dont know what kind of specs the cam have but with the other engines this guy has built i trust his judgement 1000% on that. the block is an 88 head is a ho head from a 93

Did you do anything with the heads?

Here are some pictures of the build
fc8455fe3d2fc344a58d65829eb5020b.jpg
26451e0e3637e98ec54cf8cf2f9d4e2e.jpg
ca3bf979eaeeacc6513985a59b87c386.jpg
fa522bad4544dea30ab0e988b1ba5cbf.jpg
86e0d1a82f634d006513f26bc4b921fa.jpg
1b17b323145240dd17673eff2b6c064b.jpg
113580efa53429423b863197c04a55e1.jpg
85da1f65121ecbf131ce995ae82b455c.jpg
e7db0c5bf4953db2fc1ce90ef1e5dbb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It's looking real good! :party:

If you haven't already done so, make sure all the bolts fit. I had to fit those along with clearance for the ARP head bolts. My buddy just broke his trying to install it but it bound up on something. If you notice I have studs on everything so the install is easy after all the fitting.
P1080515_zpsy6cfykns.jpg

BTW, who's valve cover is that?

Is the valve cover aluminum or just painted well? Who's rocker arms are those?

If you are running the 99+ intake manifold, you will also need the 99+ power steering pump bracket.

There is a boss on the earlier (pre-99) on the timing chain cover that will interfere with the slightly different routing of the serpentine belt, with the new bracket. You can grind it off, or let it self-clearance. I believe it has timing marks on it.

David Bricker / SYR

If you are running the 99+ intake manifold, you will also need the 99+ power steering pump bracket.

There is a boss on the earlier (pre-99) on the timing chain cover that will interfere with the slightly different routing of the serpentine belt, with the new bracket. You can grind it off, or let it self-clearance. I believe it has timing marks on it.

David Bricker / SYR
I do have the bracket coming and will make sure I take a look at that thank you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I see the early 4.0's did indeed come with a aluminum valve cover, does it clear with the cam and rocker's?

Back