NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old January 15th, 2018, 13:27
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Engine Rebuilt

... so everything I just mentioned is wrong, except for leaving the lifters internally dry. ?

At what point does it get torqued then?

How many preloads should a 4.0 lifter have? 1... 2... 30 thousandths. !?

Here are another good video. I found this on JeepForum.com. I seem to find a lot of good answers over there. This one explains that it's okay to see the valves open a little as after it's been sitting for a minute, or been turned on, the pressure in the lifters will bleed down to match up. Considering you can use the same style of hydraulic lifter for an aftermarket spring that is double the OEM specs they must be self-adjusting to valve spring pressures (I imagine you still want the correct length PR's regardless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rg1XmzzrTM

Last edited by HttpWayne; January 15th, 2018 at 14:01.
Old January 15th, 2018, 14:15
NAXJA Forum User

I didn't know it was possible to spend more than $6 on lifters. $12 a pop at NAPA for the Sealed Power setup designed to withstand racing. I like the clips that are on the face of the plungers. Those aren't coming off because your pushrod bend and knocked the flimsy retainer clips the other models all have.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SEPHT2011R
Old January 15th, 2018, 14:40
NAXJA Forum User

The rockers get torqued to spec after you have determined the correct pushrod length.
Old January 15th, 2018, 18:16
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, but, doesn't the push rod length determine the preload. In all the videos I watched they adjusted the adjustable rods to get it just right, then ordered rods at varying lengths that were always longer, and that was what the preload was. One guy ordered them .070" over to get .070" of preload.

What's my magical preload number? Maybe I need to call the CompCams pros since they're supplying their lifters. I'm just curious what is expected for a 4.0. That might be what they tell me to reference and I haven't been able to ascertain that from searching ... yet.
Old January 15th, 2018, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, measure to "0" lash and add your pre-load (typically about .050" for a 4.0)!
Old January 16th, 2018, 05:40
NAXJA Forum User

Measure to 0, add a full turn and a half, and then add .50". Got it.
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:25
NAXJA Forum User

Don't know where you got the 1-1/2 turns at ???
Measure to "0" and add .050" !!!
Old January 16th, 2018, 10:46
NAXJA Forum User

The Internet. 050, .50... close enough. They're hydraulic. They'll make it work. Chad at Golen said to use the 1.5 turns as a reference. From the time the rods hit zero lash I should only be able to turn the bolts for the rocker arms between 1 and 1.5 turns before it's snug. He said if it's outside of those parameters I should call him back. I am guessing that means the rods are short if it's not snug, or if it's snug prematurely (the only possible thing that can happen in my application since I didn't increase gasket thickness, nor does anyone else unless maybe they want to run a turbo with high boost and need to reduce compressions).

So basically I shouldn't expect much change in my rods if any since it's clear this block hasn't been decked and my head gasket is only .009" shorter than the OEM. I forget where I found out the compressed thickness of the Victor Reinz gasket. Once I did I never forgot it. I am guessing it was on JeepStrokers.com somewhere.

I think the only place I went wrong was pre-pumping my lifters. I just checked the play on the 1 Melling lifter I kept (so I can dissect it and compare it to others in the near future) and it isn't too much different from the pre-pumped ones I had. Maybe it will compress more though since there's no oil in it. ?

I can't believe I used to use Shell Rotella 15W-40. I have come so far over the years. Thicker diesel oils do have higher levels (although not enough), they also increase heat as they hold it more. My engine used to get pretty hot before I encountered any issue. I could easily burn my hand on even the supercharger.

Oi, what cam are you running?

Last edited by HttpWayne; January 16th, 2018 at 11:14.
Old January 16th, 2018, 11:27
NAXJA Forum User

Sounds like more bad advice that I would recommend you "Do Not Use"! Golen builds budget strokers so I wouldn't expect much from them!
I'm running a Comp cam..... http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CC&Product_Cod e=68-232-4&Category_Code=A6CAMSx4X4
Old January 16th, 2018, 14:43
NAXJA Forum User

I would hate to see what a non-budget stroker is. Mine was $7500 shipped to the door already broke in. I certainly overpaid, but I had the means necessary to and didn't have the time or inclination to spend 2 months building a stroker myself. I barely had the time to just get the engine installed and get to my new job location. In the end it cost me more to try to buy it built and make haste. Hind sight is always 20/20.

That was back in 2014 so we're through the looking glass at this point.

I've decided to use the CompCams break in oil. I'm also going to add in 16Oz of Lucas TB Zinc Plus. I checked the sheet on it and it's 31,000 ppm of ZDDP. In 6 quarts of oil it will be over 5500 ppm of zinc. I went ahead and got a second one. I'm going to break it in with the Comp+Lucas setup, then change the filter and oil and run it for 500 miles with the same setup.

Using Wix XP oil filters. I'm thinking about putting some magnetism in the oil pan. I read a document earlier that was showing the testing to see if magnetism affected ZDDP operation (it would suck to find out ZDDP is magnetic and it's being held prisoner in the oil pan). I knew Zinc was a type of metal so I should investigate.

I got a magnetic drain plug but that won't really be too useful until the oil has had time to sit and let any metallics drain down to the pan. It would be a good indicator but not really a preventative measure unless you do a lot of stop and go traffic.

I wanted to put neodymiums in there, but their magnetic capability starts to disappear after 175 degrees unless you get specialized magnets. I think a 210+ setup would be the best way to go. I'm not a fan of ceramics because of how easy they are to chip.
Old January 16th, 2018, 15:42
NAXJA Forum User

I've been investigating magnets. It appears putting them on the oil filter body works. I've seen two separate videos where they were dissected. One used neodymiums and the other used ceramics. They both worked.

I've got a bunch of magnets laying around so I'm going to fashion them into a wrap I can attach to the body. Seems like a $15 investment to get 10 12lb Neo's on Amazon is a great idea since they'll catch every micron.

I just watched a video where a guy got an oil bypass filter system from AMSoil. Looked complicated and expensive, and only filters a portion of the oil down to 2 microns. Not to mention you will have to replace those bypass filters which are probably much more expensive.
Old January 16th, 2018, 17:17
NAXJA Forum User

Very informative testing on different cam lube assemblies being tested. Conducted very scientifically if I might add. I've never heard of ZPaste, or most of the other lubes.

https://zddplus.com/wp-content/uploa...Break-in-1.pdf
Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:10
NAXJA Forum User

Is it necessary to pre-soak lifters in mineral spirits a day before? I don't seem to have the ability to find the reasoning behind it, but CompCams has it listed as a to-do before installation.

I was wondering if that is something that would even out the internal pressures. Only 2 or 3 of them have finger moveable play. The others are all stiff. They're fresh outta the box unused, unabused (I assume...).

If so I'll have to wait for someone to get home to take me to the mineral spirit store. Is there anything else I should get while I'm out?
Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:35
NAXJA Forum User

2 lifters are semi-collapsible, the others are all stiff like they've been oiled. My machinist didn't want me to oil them internally and recommended I cushion it in a vice with some towels and a bolt to get them collapsing for pre-load check'ment.

He said mineral spirits wasn't necessary either.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 13:46
NAXJA Forum User

Considering I was positive I wiped a cam lobe, should I see this? Usually in the past I had silvery stuff in the oil. I had no silver, but a few noticeable particles.

None of the lifters looked damaged but a few lobes were too shiny to not be wiped. This go around it wiped from loose rocker arms and I assume the sloppy play between the lifter and cam lobe smacked it to peices. I'll be taking it out tonight/tomorrow.

Does it look like it could be from the cam or do I have larger problems? It looks flat on both sides and that doesn't sit well with me.