• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Troubleshooting

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
When it is over 80 degrees outside, my '97 (with a '98 AW4 w/90k -ish miles) downshifts at highway speeds after I have been driving 45-60 minutes. My RPMs go from 2500 to 4000, and will peg if I am not careful. I release the gas, then it eventually downshifts.

It does not seem to happen when it is cooler outside.

I am putting a list together of the usual suspects to check. I read other posts with similar (but not exact) symptoms and they are suggesting TPS and TV cable.

Any other suggestions on what to check?

my 99 did that, same exact symptoms, eventually threw a code. changed the fluid and filter, it has been good for 5 more years. it started doing it again, doing a complete drain this time.

my 99 did that, same exact symptoms, eventually threw a code. changed the fluid and filter, it has been good for 5 more years. it started doing it again, doing a complete drain this time.

That's a good idea. I overlooked it, because I've only put on about 3000 miles since the transmission was put in. I'll be more proactive and replace it before a code is thrown.

You would not happen to remember what code it was?

i dont remember iirc it was 2 different codes, basically it said trans temp was too high, and recommended fluid and filter change. but mine is doing it again 5 years later when it is hot out, and is not throwing a code this time. i am doing the poor man flush this week, last time with just taking pan off i replaced less than half the fluid. i am doing it before it throws a code this time.

also the code was stored, and did not turn on the service engine soon light, my bluepoint microscan picked it up. i was ready to take it to the trans shop.

start with fluid and filter almost always fixes the issues in an aw4.

i had this happen in a ford focus and it was shift solenoids.

Back