• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IM GONNA START SCREAMIN SOON!!!

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
87 4.0 with a BA 10/5 5sp....i parked it last night and all was peachy keen...i get in it this morning and i have a thumping coming from were my shifter is. it seems to stop when the clutch is pushed to the floor, and i dont hear it all the time when driving especially at high speeds. oh and once while in third i had my hand on the shifter and i swear i could feel the gears or something moving around through the gear shifter....any ideas? is it fixable or just time for a new tranny?

i just checked all my u joints and greased them...they are good...i wouldnt think its the motor mounts with the sound stopping when the clutch is pressed. but will check

tranny mount

I second the tranny mount. Might also want to check the exhaust hanger as it attaches to the mount as well and can get tweaked from time to time - or just need adjusting. Mine bumped and rattled occasionally.

Of course, you could be lossing the tranny too. I went through two of those before swapping to a NV3550.

Good luck!

Third the tranny mount. It does not have to be broken or torn apart to do this. There's almost no clearance between the exhaust pipe and the crossmember, and when the mount gets old it will sag enough to cause clunking. If you're an utter and thoroughgoing cheapskate, and the mount is not visibly coming apart, you can shim it up a little, ether on the crossmember or between mount and transfer case, to regain clearance, but make sure you don't overdo it or the bolts will fall out.

well, im sad to say i got home ang checked the tranny mount and the exhaust crossmember and they are both fine...regretably the sound is comining from inside the tranny....so looks like im gonna be doing a swap before long...thanks for all you help

I second the tranny mount. Might also want to check the exhaust hanger as it attaches to the mount as well and can get tweaked from time to time - or just need adjusting. Mine bumped and rattled occasionally.

Of course, you could be lossing the tranny too. I went through two of those before swapping to a NV3550.

Good luck!

I've got the exhaust hanger deal going on ... looks like the rubber is stretched and whatnot. i was gonna figure a way to cob it up, but i guess i'll prolly buy a new hanger and do it the right way.

well, im sad to say i got home ang checked the tranny mount and the exhaust crossmember and they are both fine...regretably the sound is comining from inside the tranny....so looks like im gonna be doing a swap before long...thanks for all you help

Too bad. Still, you should make doubly sure that there isn't some flex causing it to bump at idle or when torque pulls the engine around, that you can't see just crawling underneath.

Here's what happened to mine -

When i start engine, i hear the rattle. then i don't hear it while idling or driving.

today i got out of work, started and drove the whole way home, hearing it rattle a tiny bit every so often the whole ride home (2-3 miles)

when I climbed under to look at it, I didn't see any sign of marks or wear on the muffler where it might be rubbing on the cross brace.

I got some good photos to share

Front exhaust hanger on tranny cross brace (immediately upstream of the cat)

Better view of the SUPER LIMITED clearance between the muffler and cross brace

Rear exhaust hanger (I welded a bolt in there because it broke)

holy iron oxide batman!! no wonder why your exhaust hanger broke.

well, i took it to a tranny shop yesterday just to be sure and its apparently a combination of the bearings and synchros on their last leg. and the noise was there when driving and at a stand still as long as the clutch wasnt depressed. 3rd gear cluckin around really good, and this afternoon i didnt even need to use my clutch...i was just floatin almost every gear smooth as can be.

Back