• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 Cross Shaft

Lowrange2

NAXJA Forum User
So I've searched thru some threads and no one seemed to have been in the same situation. I'm tryin to get my rear axles out of the Chryco 8.25. I see that it's a no brainer and should be pie to do but after I removed the cross shaft bolt and start to tap with a hammer it only goes about a 1/4 inch and stops. I started to tap it out in the direction of the bolt (The bolt side coming out first) It looks to me like it's getting wedged into the spider gear on that side. The center part of the shaft seems to be a hair bigger in diameter, and won't go thru the hole in the spider gear. I also tried tapping i out in the other direction but it doesn't even go a 1/4 inch. I thought about some heat but I was a lil skeptical about adding flames to gear oil. THe last thing I need is a fire. ...........?

KarlVP said:
Is it hitting the ring gear? If not, you just need to put some more ass into it.

Get an aluminum or brass drift and show it some BFH love.

Nope not hitting the pinion. I just can't get in a good enough spot to wack on it really good I guess. I've been beatin on it with a 3lb sledge for about 2 hours.

Does the bolt go all the way thru the cross shaft and back in the carrier on the other side?

take a good look at the pin bolt to make sure it isn't broken part of it off niside

have you pulled both axles outward to get away from crossshaft?

geuss I'm not much help. Just to piss ya off a bit more I did axle seals on an 8.8 this morning at work and the cross pin slid right out with min finger pressure.

YOU SUCK! lol JK I'm gunna beat the crap out of it in the morning. It WILL come out!

I wonder if there is anyway I can polish on the shaft with my dremel... :|

If you do have gunk built up on cross shaft, nothing more than brake cleaner won't clean off.

I don't really see anything built up on it. Just the fatigue lines from where the shaft ends rub it. Am I right to be scared to add a flame to the spider gear?

make sure you got some marshmellows handy & video camera so we can laugh about it later. When you get out of the hostital. really not a great idea IMO.

Yeah thats kinda what I figured... but Hey if it's good for a laugh or two I'm game. It may be bad when the gear oil catchs on fire and flames up to the gas tank. Ka BOoom!

lowrange2 said:
I don't really see anything built up on it. Just the fatigue lines from where the shaft ends rub it. Am I right to be scared to add a flame to the spider gear?

You don't want to heat the spider gears. It will fatigue them like nobodys business.

You need to rotate the diff up so that you can barely whack at the cross shaft. Then hit it. I've had some trials and tribulations with cross shafts before, but once you get them past a certain point, you should be able to just tap them in or out with minimal effort.

The only other suggestion I could give is to weld a nut to the end, and use a slide hammer or puller to get it out. But that would require a cross shaft replacement.

Back