• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did I do to my 91’?

2JN1998

NAXJA Forum User
1991 Cherokee Sport
4.0 HO, 5spd Ax15, 2wd (no tcase), no ABS
Neutral safety switch (clutch switch) already bypassed when I bought it

My ignition went out last week and I thought it was the lock cylinder. Replaced the lock cylinder to no avail meaning it’s the actuator pin. It still started with key on and jumping the starter solenoid. I went to put a button in to give the starter relay power (pin 86) and accidentally put the wire on the auto shutdown relay (pin 86) at first. I realized what I did and put the wire in the “proper” position (as if what I’m doing is proper), but now it won’t start. Will crank but no start.

I know from googling that the auto shutdown relay is controlling the injectors, coil, fuel pump, probably interfaces with the brain on the opposite fender and in turn the crank position sensor. I can still hear my fuel pump kicking on when the key is turned leading me to believe it’s one of the other things in that list. Still have to check spark to rule the coil out. Can’t tell for sure but can’t hear the injectors clicking so I’m thinking no fuel. Am I lucky enough to have not fried my brain or sensor? :wow: Am I missing anything? :doh:

I’ve checked all my fuses, inside and out. Relays too. Everything seems like it did before, dash lights up, radio comes on, fuel pump engages. I don’t know where to start with what I could’ve fried and don’t have the money to throw parts at it until it works. If it is the brain, does it have to be a 2wd, no abs, unit? I know it has to be 4.0 but 2wd 4.0s are more of a pain to find. Mine has a lot of things to accommodate abs (like empty spots for abs relays) if I had need so maybe the brain is the same I just don’t use those functions?

To reiterate, I applied 12v to pin 86 of the auto shutdown relay. My logic says it should’ve just turned it and that system on for a moment, and that should be the hot side of that relay so it wouldn’t do much. I did it on accident trying to add a button to my starter relay because my actuator pin is broken. Pulled the wrong relay at first and now I’ve broken something

Got it figured out last night. Ended up taking the wheel off, ignition out, taking everything off the column, pulled the computer, only to find with a probe that putting a wire in the slot and reinserting the relay had pushed the terminal down into the fuse box and was no longer making connection...
The asd relay wasn't getting a signal.

6 hours in the cold, 4 more in the shop tearing it and my sanity apart. Scared I'd fried any number of things.

Lesson learned, always start with a probe, and always check the terminal itself not just the relay or fuse in it. Hopefully this helps somebody.

Back