• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Stud Replacement

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My good buddies at the tire shop cross threaded a lug nut and rammed that baby on with their 2000 ft-lb air wrench. When the next poor chump (me) took that wheel off the lug wrung off so now there is just a broken stub. So the Einsteins at the tire place are saying 'don't worry, we'll take care of you.' I say 'YOU'VE ALREADY TAKEN CARE OF ME.' Thanks very much. So I am wanting to just fix it myself and I have a couple of questiones:

1. Removing broken lug seems straight-forward enough. Just drill it out, right? If I have to, nibble it away with a dremel tool. Is there a better way?

2. Can I 'press' the new stud in by just pulling it into position by tightening a nut on the wheel side? I would imagine a beefy washer under the nut to spread the load would be good. Is this a practical approach to installing the stud?

In an ideal world I guess the most correct method would be to pull that axle out and do both operations with a press. I just want to do it on the vehicle. Hope this question is not so simple that I am insulting anyone's intelligence out there. I am just wanting to get my XJ fixed right and I will do it in my driveway if I can. TIA for all suggestions..................

No need to remove the axle. Some have pounded out old studs but I think that can cause internal damage. Drill is better.

You're on the right track on setting the new one. I would use two washers, with anti-sieze between them so they can slip. Get an old open lug nut and reverse it, or any standard 1/2-20 nut, so you have a flat surface bearing on the washers rather than a taper. Be sure the splines are lined up before you start pulling it through.

This is why I never let shops take my wheels off. One of the advantages of having an MJ is that I can toss a set of wheels in the back and take 'em down loose. This also saves arguments about "We can't put that size tire on a Cherokee."

Front or rear? It really does matter!

Ok that should not be bad then. The front however can be a bear. I had to pull my hub out a little to get the new stud in. What I did was put an old lug nut on it and knocked it out with a rubber mallet. But mine was broken not cross threaded.

An impact chisel may be of some use in removing the old stud.
one of my favorite tools:)

Back