• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

37's on D44 or D60

For 37's I would build a 60 or hybrid.

If your talking 37's stop thinking about cost and start thinking about stout.

you cant run 37s successfully while being very cheap. wasnt farmer matt tearing up his 44 w/37s pretty steadily at jv

i ran 37" MTRs on a 30 and was fine up till i locked it up in the front and no more shafts. an open D44 would work out fine even with a lock right and some stout shafts

my .02

I'm running 37/12.50/16 Maxxis Creepy Crawlers on a D44/D60 with stock shafts and 760 joints. I havn't had any problems with it yet, but I do carry spare shafts and joints for the 44.

Looking for some experience....from someone who wheels?

32's and D30....broke one 260x axle u-joint
33's and D30....broke two 260x joints and one 297x joint
35's and D44....broke one CTM u-joint
37's and D44....broke one Warn hub, two Warn stub shafts, and one CTM u-joint

Anthony, you ask about running a D44 or a D60 with 37's. My advice is to run 35's.

Goatman said:
Looking for some experience....from someone who wheels?

32's and D30....broke one 260x axle u-joint
33's and D30....broke two 260x joints and one 297x joint
35's and D44....broke one CTM u-joint
37's and D44....broke one Warn hub, two Warn stub shafts, and one CTM u-joint

Anthony, you ask about running a D44 or a D60 with 37's. My advice is to run 35's.
you should also note weight and locker. your rig probably weighs 5k on the trail, right? also, with a Detroit up front the shafts/joints/hubs will see much more abuse than with a selectable locker that is only used when needed. I think Dave Taylor has it right in saying that 37s will be fine if you're under 4k and have good shafts and joints (Superiors and CTMs), and a selectable locker would help even more.

My advice is to run a 60 with 37's in the rocks. I think you could get away with a 44 if you lived and wheeled in wetter slipperier conditions.

It's the difference between always worrying about your junk breaking or planting your foot firmly into the throttle and pointing the hood skyward.

CRASH

BrettM said:
you should also note weight and locker. your rig probably weighs 5k on the trail, right? also, with a Detroit up front the shafts/joints/hubs will see much more abuse than with a selectable locker that is only used when needed. I think Dave Taylor has it right in saying that 37s will be fine if you're under 4k and have good shafts and joints (Superiors and CTMs), and a selectable locker would help even more.

That's bunk to me, and not just because I run a Detroit. The times that the front is in a bind enough to break, or you're into it enough on a climb to stress it good, you'd have a front selectable locker locked. If you're talking gradual stress, it still doesn't make sense conclusively, since the front automatic locker will still differentiate some in the turns, while a selectable locker is a spool so when it's engaged in a front application you could say it puts more stress on the axles. Besides, in my case I run 2wd low range quite a bit, like others run open in the front. Now, as for the weight, I don't know how much I weigh, but I really don't think it's over 5000 lbs.

Brett, you're over anylizing. On Fordyce, the 'Con, and the other Sierra trails, I rarely put it in 4wd, same thing in Moab. Now, come to JV or Montrose....... :)

You need to get you junk to JV one of these days, bro'......it would add tremendously to your base of experience, and we'd have to quit giving you sh!t about it. :looser:

:D :D

Oh, and I agree with the comment about running chrmo axles and u-joints and keeping the weight down. For me, I just have to be careful again. When I was running 35's on a D44 front with Warns and CTM's, I never thought about breaking and it was nice, now with the 37's I have to think about it again and be a little careful. I still don't want a heavy D60 up there, but that's just me.

Last edited:
paul_xj04 said:
i ran 37" MTRs on a 30 and was fine up till i locked it up in the front and no more shafts. an open D44 would work out fine even with a lock right and some stout shafts

my .02

Work fine where?

You live in mud and trees country, Anthony lives in the desert where it's full of dry rocks.

Anthony........35's baby. :wave:

Sounds like everyone is talking front end, I think the rear is a much more important consideration, & I wouldn't run 37's on anything less than 35 splines.

In regards to the front Detroit thing. I've run ARB's since the late 80's & never had a problem with them. I just put a Detroit up front (only because it was free, & with the intention to eventually switch it out for an ARB). With only 2 runs on the Detroit, I think it will actually be friendlier, at least at the Hammers, where you need to be locked almost all the time. I base this on the fact that it is SOOOO much easier to steer with the Detroit.

Paul

there is more to an axles strenth then spline count, I call BS on the 35 spline requirement. I'll do just fine with 37's and my 17 spline shafts thank you.

1 ton eaton, if i'm breaking a 1.75" shaft that necks to 1.5" i have bigger issues then what axle to run in the rear. I need to fully change my driving style and hand my keys over to someone else.

sintax said:
1 ton eaton, if i'm breaking a 1.75" shaft that necks to 1.5" i have bigger issues then what axle to run in the rear. I need to fully change my driving style and hand my keys over to someone else.

Get over it, you know what he meant. 35 spline is a euphemism for 1.5" diameter, which is the minimum I woul also run with 37's.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Get over it, you know what he meant. 35 spline is a euphemism for 1.5" diameter, which is the minimum I woul also run with 37's.

CRASH

I'm over it princess...

just gets old seeing people spew something that their friend told them, that they read on pirate one day. There is more to the world then 35spline D60s...

Back