• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank leaking from top

RynoMJ

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace the evap line from the top of the tank to the box. Had to cut the tank bolts and replaced them with J hooks. I must have tightened them too much because when I started up the XJ I noticed it was dripping fuel. I loosed the J bolts and saw it was leaking from the top.

I can move the pump by hand from left to right, is this normal? And looks like it might be leaking from the hose connection on the pump. Any thoughts on what actually broke? I supposed I'll drop the tank and take a look tomorrow.

Last edited:
Tank designs differ from early years to late model.

It might help if you let us know which flavor you are working with.

Sounds like you probably crushed some plastic up top. I am going to guess you broke at least one of the connections, and if you can move the pump left to right you may have cracked the ring that mounts the pump.

Dropping the tank is the only way to really know and to fix it properly.

Yes that^ you may have "disturbed" the rubber o-rings in the quick dis-connect or the sealing ring on the pump. Either way your going to have to drop the tank again.

Forgot to mention.
If I were to do this I would try to plan ahead.
Instead of building up around the hole in the floor, like it describes in the write up, I would cut a bigger panel out of a Jeep at the boneyard to use as a patch panel.

Update:

Everything looks fine none of the plastic is cracked. The metal piece that the fuel line attaches too spins by hand. Is this normal?

Update 2:

Put everything back together still have the tank low to see what’s going on and it definitely looks like it’s leaking from the plastic quick connect line that attaches to the pump output. Everything looks fine with that piece both the o rings look good not sure why it would be leaking.

a65638c1495937e9d833950aa55e1426.jpg

Last edited:
The torque on the pump lock ring is 55ft/lbs, how do you accomplish that thru that little hole?

Well I have not done this.
When I first saw this it was one of those file this info away for possible use in the future things.
But guessing the spanner wrench that people use for the locking ring fits in there.
He did show a picture of one off Amazon in the write up.

So is there any ill effect/ bad idea to just removing that plastic push on hose and just replacing it with fuel hose and clamps. The pressure should be what somewhere around 50ish PSI?

Pressure is the issue, you can replace that hose, I chose to go with braided SS and AN fittings.
P1080771.JPG
[/IMG]

I don't know about the late models, but my '96 runs 49 psi (I believe the same as the late models) and the fuel filter is connected in the line with clamps, but they are fuel injection hose clamps, not the more common, cheap hose clamps.

You would want to make sure you are running fuel injection hose (not regular fuel line) and fuel injection clamps.

The only other thing to worry about would be the clamp pressure if that fitting is not metal. If it is a metal fitting then I think you should be fine. That is with the caveat that I have not actually handled the parts or looked at the available clearance. Make sure the fuel injection hose clamp doesn't take up even more space in whatever direction the force came from that caused the original fitting to fail.

Pressure is the issue, you can replace that hose, I chose to go with braided SS and AN fittings.
P1080771.JPG
[/IMG]

Any chance you have a part number for those push on fittings? I've used AN hose on my MJ before just never seen those types of fittings that replace the crappy plastic push on ones.

I don't know about the late models, but my '96 runs 49 psi (I believe the same as the late models) and the fuel filter is connected in the line with clamps, but they are fuel injection hose clamps, not the more common, cheap hose clamps.

You would want to make sure you are running fuel injection hose (not regular fuel line) and fuel injection clamps.

The only other thing to worry about would be the clamp pressure if that fitting is not metal. If it is a metal fitting then I think you should be fine. That is with the caveat that I have not actually handled the parts or looked at the available clearance. Make sure the fuel injection hose clamp doesn't take up even more space in whatever direction the force came from that caused the original fitting to fail.

Yea my MJ has an hose and fittings up to the pump then regular rubber hose with hose clamps after it and the filter so I figured it must work on this application too.

Any chance you have a part number for those push on fittings? I've used AN hose on my MJ before just never seen those types of fittings that replace the crappy plastic push on ones.

They are Russell #611253 for fuel line end (5/16") and 611203 for the pump end (3/8").

Back