• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lockers! what ya running and why?

denverd1

NAXJA Forum User
I've had both ends lunchbox locked for a few years. It's a barrel of fun. Swapping axles. Thinking about lockers. What I like, didn't like, never doing again type of thing.

Being front locked on 33's has created some issues, namely steering gears. I'm on my 3rd. The frame rail where the gear mounts is also F'd. I believe the rig had a collision on front driver corner. I beefed it all up when I ripped the bumper off, but didn't give that section of frame rail any love. Got a SFR brace for the inner frame and will throw some angle iron and plate on bottom and outside.

I'm also going hydro assist when the axles go in. will be on 37s and wouldn't trust the gear to hold up getting out of my driveway in current form.

So... since I'm doing hydro assist, do lunchbox again for simplicity? I like simplicity. they just work. no air lines or other crap to break. point and shoot. will hydro assist negate any turning-while-locked issues? they're cheap and I've never had a problem after beating on them pretty hard for several years. ratcheting doesn't bother me...

Or! go auto in the rear, something selectable or at least with better manners up front?
Eaton or any other e-locker would work. Not as simple, but definitely not complicated.

Does grizzly stay locked or only engage with wheel spin? I would be ok with that.

Any LSD worth putting up front? I'd rather have a more mechanical relationship than clutches. Do they still suck?

will be 90% trail, 10% road trips jeep to the local jeep event. may swing by the Bed Bath and Beyond, don't know if we'll have time.

those with locked front ends, what do you have and why?

A locked rig cant be driven on dry pavement, that is what is killing your steering gear, and it will harm other things too, axles, U joints, etc...

You need a selectable locker if you want to drive on the street.

I have an ARB air locker in front, Trutrak LSD in rear. no problems, but I only lock the front when absolutely needed, and only on dirt or snow, off road.

I have Eaton e-lockers up front on all 3 of my XJ's. All D30's. It's an open diff when not in use and fully locked with the flip of a switch. All 3 are mainly trail rigs, but do see some pavement, too.

For me, I like the E-locker for 2 main reasons.
1. It's select-ability. On or off. Don't have to worry about on road manners.
2. Ease of operation and wiring. It's easy to wire and all you need is a switch somewhere. I like not having to worry about an air compressor or air lines, especially with the lack of abundant space in an XJ.

The price is comparable to an ARB, but I like the simplicity of the E-locker. Not sure if the strength is comparable.

For the rears, I have the Detroit locker in all of them. Easy, strong, and I don't notice any appreciable bad road manners. I don't even have to think about them, give it gas and both wheels lock up. Cheaper than a select-able, and I think it's a great option.

With the Detroit's in the back, I rarely have to lock the fronts. I'm sold on the Detroit's in the rear, and E-lockers up front. YMMV.

Like already said about the characteristics, ARB up front and a No-Slip in the rear.

A locked rig cant be driven on dry pavement, that is what is killing your steering gear, and it will harm other things too, axles, U joints, etc...

You need a selectable locker if you want to drive on the street.

That is ignorant and wrong. A 4x4 with a front automatic locker cannot be driven on the street while four wheel drive is engaged but you don’t want to do that anyway. If you have an NP-242 or other “full-time” capable case, you should not use the full-time mode. But, 2hi in an NP-231, NP-242, Atlas, etc is fine.

The only D30 front axle failure I ever had was breaking a lunchbox locker center pin and destroying the stock carrier. HP D30, 4.88s, alloy shafts, 35s. If I were building another D30, I would go full case Detroit.

I would go full case auto locker in the front, as it is invisible in 2wd and I want it to always work when in 4wd. Rear selectable locker so you can turn it off for tight turns and street driving.

My buggy has spool in the front and ARB in the back.

Grizzly drives like normal in 2wd on the street when tcase is engaged its locked 99.999% of the time.
Grizzly front and rear welded is my combo. So far I really like it but only have 100or so dirt miles on the Grizzly. In 4wd you definitely know there is bear pulling you around.

I did Grizzly locker and 4.88 at same time. Thing is a offroad beast now. Very fun go anywhere kinda rig. Currently working on wheels to try 37s

I dunno about hydro. 1ton over the knuckle steering is working very well for me. Maybe not with 37s

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You need a selectable locker if you want to drive on the street. .

Oh, really. Please explain further ?

My 2000 has a D30 Lockright and the Chry 8.25 has a PowerTrax No-Slip. No problems with either one, with dozens of 4x4 trips to Moab, Colorado, and Minnesota and more than 50,000 road miles summer and winter in Minnesota. Cost was the main deciding factor, I can't afford larger tires, locking differentials, and deeper gears all at once.

denverd1, what is the budget ?

Auto Lockers are good, Selectable Lockers are better. If the budget is tight, auto lock the rear and selectable in the front. Detroit TrueTrac is the only Limited Slip worth installing, and I would put it in the front axle. Unless e-lockers are more durable than a few years ago, I would pass on them.

Last edited:
I have an OX locker in the rear and love it.

Plan is to put an OX in the front too.

The rear is cable actuated. The front will be with an electric solenoid since the experience of others has shown that a cable doesn't play well with the front suspension. Cable works fine for the rear though. Just requires intelligent routing.

That is ignorant and wrong. A 4x4 with a front automatic locker cannot be driven on the street while four wheel drive is engaged but you don’t want to do that anyway. If you have an NP-242 or other “full-time” capable case, you should not use the full-time mode. But, 2hi in an NP-231, NP-242, Atlas, etc is fine.

The only D30 front axle failure I ever had was breaking a lunchbox locker center pin and destroying the stock carrier. HP D30, 4.88s, alloy shafts, 35s. If I were building another D30, I would go full case Detroit.

I would go full case auto locker in the front, as it is invisible in 2wd and I want it to always work when in 4wd. Rear selectable locker so you can turn it off for tight turns and street driving.

My buggy has spool in the front and ARB in the back.

Go ahead a mess up you rig with the front lock on a dry pavement while turning. jeez:dunno:I am not ignorant. but you are rude.

Here's my messed up rig. I love that it's messed up. I also love that I dont follow internet miss information
b2d04d5f9e880fc2354502af55c2ccbc.jpg

Oh, really. Please explain further ?

My 2000 has a D30 Lockright and the Chry 8.25 has a PowerTrax No-Slip. No problems with either one, with dozens of 4x4 trips to Moab, Colorado, and Minnesota and more than 50,000 road miles summer and winter in Minnesota. Cost was the main deciding factor, I can't afford larger tires, locking differentials, and deeper gears all at once.

denverd1, what is the budget ?

Auto Lockers are good, Selectable Lockers are better. If the budget is tight, auto lock the rear and selectable in the front. Detroit TrueTrac is the only Limited Slip worth installing, and I would put it in the front axle. Unless e-lockers are more durable than a few years ago, I would pass on them.

If you are locked and try to turn on dry pavement, with no tire slippage, the fact that the outside wheel must spin faster than the inside wheel to make the turn, will fight with the locked diff. Thus if you want a locker it must be able to be disconnected for those circumstances. A selectable locker be it air, electric or mechanically switched is needed, or you need an open diff or a limited slip. With a locker you must remember to turn it off when on dry pavement. A limited slip automatically works by allowing some slip in a turn to account for the difference in tire rpm during a turn.

If you are full locked, with no wheel slippage, things can break when turning.

I have a limited slip in back, and an air locker in front, the air locker is only used when off road when extra traction is desired, else I leave it off, this makes steering easier, and reduces stresses on the parts.

I think you need to spend some time researching lockers.

Your explaining a spool and Lincoln locker. Or in my case a miller locker.

I will say that if my foot is on the throttle the grizzly is locked. I I can some let of fast coming into a turn and get it to unlock.

Found coasting down hill it does unlock.

Have seen no situation where I was on the throttle and it wasn't locked didn't matter turning or going straight. If im sending power through the tcase the fronts locked.

In 2wd its definitely not locked. Paired with the welded rear if it was it would be a real pain to drive on the street.

https://youtu.be/Tv4Tba7gUC4

My WJ has a aussie in the rear. Not a fan for street driving at all. Offroad it does great. It's not my daily so don't really care. For the cost an my options with the faux44 it's not terrible. Eventually when an axle swap happens trutrac rear and selectable front. My MJ is ARB front a trutrac rear. Still being built but I know this combo and dig it. In any case selectable up front and rear selectable preferred but a trutrac or grizzly would be my choice. Unless it's a trailer queen spool the rear, selectable up front

Go ahead a mess up you rig with the front lock on a dry pavement while turning. jeez:dunno:I am not ignorant. but you are rude.

I did it for years with no issues. I think you have no idea how an automatic locker works. Detroit, Grizzly, Aussie, Lock-rite, etc. Do you think every XJ, TJ, ZJ, WJ, JK with a front locker is either running a selectable or “messing up” their front axle?

I maybe be rude but you need to SPOBI

Unless it's a trailer queen spool the rear, selectable up front

Close, but backwards. Trailer + hydraulic steering + 35 spline = spool the front and air leaker in the rear:chef:

The front pulls you up or around a corner, while the rear pushes you straight or off the line.

Back