• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OHC compatibility and sunroof options

jester1341

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
For starters, I did search and didn’t really find much to answer what I’m thinking, although I did find Mr Roboto’s post and see someone out there has actually cut down a OHC.🤔

So, I have an OHC that I acquired before buying a 2001 XJ with a sunroof, actually guy didn’t even mention it in the ad. So I want to functions of the overhead but I’m also iffy on cutting it down since I would most likely want to mount the sunroof switch on it also. The other part of my issue is my built sheet says mine came with RKE, and it does have the board for it, but the PO did not have any fobs. I looked online for replacements and see it requires jeep to program for a fee(read 55). The replacements say 99-01 XJ or 99-04 WJ🤔, so does anyone know if they share the same hardware? Like could I get the board and fobs from a WJ? Which then leads into what I’m thinking of trying it mounting a WJ OHC, they are smaller and have similar features but also a sunroof switch incorporated, some even have homelink buttons for garage😳

So, any info about WJ OHC comparability or installing in XJ, or even anyone that can verify it would fit.... would be awesome. And/or anyone else who has cut down an XJ console care to chime in?

The cost of fobs and programming them is not worth the trouble, I would simply install an aftermarket alarm/remote start system.

I have seen a few aftermarket sunroofs with OHC in the junkyard, typically they have a rocker switch mounted in the console.

Similar to this >> https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/sunroof-overhead-console-93390/

I really have gotten sidetracked since I posted my thread about that cut down OHC I bought, so it's just been sitting. Before you cut yours up, I'll trade you my shortened one for your long one if you're interested in it. There are a few flat spots you may be able to integrate your sunroof switch into it. I can take more pics if you'd like.

Also, I think the WJ OCH will not communicate with the XJ system bus to get the screen working.

I prefer to have a factory fob instead of aftermarket, just cause.

Roboto, that’s tempting but if I cut mine, I was thinking I’d have the compartments and all rear of the sunroof, in other words I’d still plan to use the entire thing.

I’d much prefer the WJ route, wonder if I can use one with XJ guts if that were the case I’d sell my console cheap. I need to just buy one and see what will work.

Last edited:
So I got a 20$ WJ evic off eBay in alright shape sold as “untested” so I assume it doesn’t work, but more importantly did some reading and found out the temp sender is wired different in the XJ and WJ(of course). The EVIC is apparently fed by a signal wire in the OBDII bus that isn’t even wired in the XJ.

Now I need to decide if I want to hack apart my XJ OHC to use with my sunroof, hack apart the guts of my OHC and hope I can make it fit in the WJ OHC with some creative wiring, or cut them both to have the housing for the XJ and attach that to the housing of the WJ than maybe with some fiberglass or epoxy and cover with headliner material.

I think the easiest would be to just hack down the XJ but I kinda like the idea of having the homelink button. Chrysler just can’t make anything easy for me. :D

So I got a 20$ WJ evic off eBay in alright shape sold as “untested” so I assume it doesn’t work, but more importantly did some reading and found out the temp sender is wired different in the XJ and WJ(of course). The EVIC is apparently fed by a signal wire in the OBDII bus that isn’t even wired in the XJ.

Now I need to decide if I want to hack apart my XJ OHC to use with my sunroof, hack apart the guts of my OHC and hope I can make it fit in the WJ OHC with some creative wiring, or cut them both to have the housing for the XJ and attach that to the housing of the WJ than maybe with some fiberglass or epoxy and cover with headliner material.

I think the easiest would be to just hack down the XJ but I kinda like the idea of having the homelink button. Chrysler just can’t make anything easy for me. :D

Something else to consider... I wired in a Gentex auto-dimming rear view mirror with integrated compass and homelink buttons. They're super cheap on ebay... around $30. So, you could always go this route to get your homelink, and have the added perk of the auto-dimming mirror as well.

Back