• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help diagnosing noise

XJSlater

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 4.0 and lately have been getting a very loud, obnoxious creaking noise coming from the from drivers side. First checked power steering, and the fluid level is good and fluid is clean, I have re-greased all TRE's multiple times, there is no cracks in the frame around the steering box and ball joints have no play in them. I know that the Track Bar frame mount could the culprit, but the bolts are all tight and the TRE looks clean and is still holding grease. I have the RE 3.5" SF with HD adj. Track Bar and have only had it installed just barely over a year and shouldn't think the track bar end should be failing already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Adam

Nobody can help me out here?

I did quite a bit of searching and all the solutions people are suggesting haven't helped my situation. Anybody have anything else that might help?

-Adam

hey i have the exact same problem on my stock 92 2dr 4.0, theres no play or resistance in the steering...just the noise, it hapened after it got stolen for a night so i cant even begin to imagine what the guy did to my baby to make it creak like it does...i thought it was my ball joint, but like you..they seem solid. i really dont have any advice..just letting you know your not alone lol i hope some one figures it out
:rattle:

Andrew

Your description sound like the the noise the poly bushings in my Rancho control arms make. I believe the superflex joints are rebuildable, you think that might be the problem? I realise you don't have poly bushings but it sounds like its a similar noise & I'm sure R.E. sells kits and a special tool for rebuilding their joints. It stands to reason they wouldn't sell the parts if people didn't need them.Just a shot in the dark, hope it helps.

Back