• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dslr cameras

juniorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
seriously looking at getting one. ive been eyeballing the canon digital rebel XT, 8mp. with lens, or the 10.1mp XTi opinions? i know there are a bunch of dslr users here so i figur there ought to be some. suggestions? hopefuly something in the 600 and lower category, but all will be considered. i have taken some really good pics with my kodac easyshare C875 8mp. then i lost it so i may as well upgrade. what do ya'll think?

Honestly, if you can afford it, the Nikon D80 is the best bet.

I hope you're leaving enough money in your budget for a good lense. The lenses is a key factor for a DSLR. I've owned many SLRs and a few DSLRs. If you buy a $600 camera with the stock 18-55 lense, then might as well buy a point n shoot, you'll get better results for less money. Consider at minimum a USM motor with image stabilization (IS). check out below...Also the memory format makes a slight difference on how much and fast you are shooting. Good hunting and have fun...

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/

Nikon D50... less MP than the newer d40/d60 but can use more lens's..

i run a nikon d80 and d300... the d80 is my "rough stuff" camera... i baby my 300, lol...

canon vs nikon will be a battle forever..... i almost bought a rebel but the body is small... im 6'3" 280 and my hands are banana's.. i felt like i was going to break it...

JOe

im 6' flat and maybie 150 soaking wet. the only real test would be to accualy touch them all.

juniorXJ said:
im 6' flat and maybie 150 soaking wet. the only real test would be to accualy touch them all.

it really is like buying a gun... you have to feel it.

these camera's now (especially at a consumer grade level aka sub 2k) share so many of the same features it really does come down to feel and how you like the menu functions.

when i was starting the canon was too complicated for me (could easily handle it now though)... too many different knobs to do different scrolls to get info and make adjustments... Nikon has a real user friendly camera IMO... the screens are simple, if you scroll over something there is an actual question Mark button (?) that you can press and it gives you a dummy's answer on what that function does.

little things like that are what got me in the Nikons... the D50 was my first rig and is still a great camera... did i need to upgrade???? probably not... but like most guys, are we ever happy with what our current setup is? hell no... more, bigger, faster, stronger!!! woohoo!...

goodluck

JOe

i'm a canon fanboy and when it comes to dslr's, it's the classic chevy/ford debate. what i will suggest is that you do a ton of research on lenses. i work with 2 guys that shoot weddinds/studio/modeling for a 2nd job and are on to of everything camera relate. they only piece of advice that they gave me (one likes canon the other likes nikon) is to find what brand has the lens family that will suite my needs (and wallet) more. then invest in that brand. in comparison to the bodies, lenses are the most expensive part of dslr's.

Lenses are abound for both Nikon and Canon. Nikkor lenses are great. Canon's lenses are great. The pro series lenses from both manufacturers, plus Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, whatever, really make it so whatever brand you get, you're going to have great glass. I personally don't think purchasing a DSLR should be due to the glass because of that reason.

Go to a Camera store.. any of 'em.. even.. *cringe* Ritz. I personally prefer Calumet or BH Photo for my purchases, but Ritz is closer so I use them to actually handle the equipment. Grab a the best Canon and best Nikon in your price range. Play with them. Use the on off switch, shooting mode selector, shutter release, change the ISO, go through all the menus, functions, etc. Whatever you feel more comfortable with is the one you should shoot with. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
i went to best buy yesterday, (im sure a real camera place would be better but i can still touch them there) took a look at the canon XS, nikon D40, and the sony alfa a100. personaly i found the alfa. plastiky, the nikon was a sweet camera but for my price range, it was little over budget, besides being a 6.1Mp wich isnt a big deal, i want to be able to print hugemongous posters (i like landscapes) and the canon Xs with 10.1Mp and under $700 fit the bill perfect. i still want to look at more at more of a dedicated camera store.

another thing i was wondering, did the canon XS replace the XTi?

Im a nikon guy but you like canon... doesnt bug me but i dont know the XS vs XTi...

i do know that you can not DO NOT fall for those cheap camera online stores.. there are a lot of black market cameras through them and they WILL steal your hard earned money.

If buying online, check the store through http://www.resellerratings.com .... a lot of these places have MULTIPLE names and are tricky...

Bhphoto.com is great 6ave.com is good too... newegg.com ect... there are some good safe ones out there..

1 thing i do like about Bestbuy or Circuit city (local places).. is that if there is a problem you can bring it RIGHT back... the first D50 i bought i got from BestBuy and there was dust on the sensor... so i brought it back and got a new one...

http://www.couponcabin.com/ is a great place to check often for rebates that are sent to people that are "members" places and you can get some $$$ off...

Lastly, Check your credit card company on electronic purchases... some offer to double the manufactures warranty if purchased with XXX card... i do this on all my electronics.

sorry for the long post, lol... but stuff i have learned over time i thought i would share.

JOe

Back