• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2” lift with 31 tires?

Bighass

NAXJA Forum User
New here and not sure if this is the right spot to ask but here it goes. I have a two inch lift on my xj. I’d like to run 31 x10.5 r15 if I put a trailmaster rim with 4 inch backspacing is that possible. Don’t mind trimming the bumper a bit and I dont need much flex mainly street driving. Or am I better off staying with a 30x9.5 thanks

I was never able to run anything bigger than 30x9.50 tires when I had a 2” lift on either of my previous XJs (pre 97 bodies)

My current 1991 XJ has 3” of lift and I get some rub sometimes in sharp turns with my 31x10.50s. I trimmed my inner front fenders and the bottom inner sections of the fender flares. I’m actually going to bump mine up one more inch with shackles and front spacer pucks to 4”
to get a bit more clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run 3" and 30x9.50s - I honestly think it's perfect. It keeps the budget manageable, looks good, and performs really well off road as well.

31x10.5 BFG's fit just fine on 2"-ish. A little trimming on the front bumper caps but nothing else. Just a little rub on the inner fenders at full flex. This is with stock wheels, which keep the wheels tucked inside the fender.

I plan on going with aftermarket rims with 4.5 backspace so that should give more room

The lower back space will move the tire out to be closer to fender contact (typically not what you want off road, except possibly for a look that appears like a wider tire and track width).

Stock rims are 15x7 rims with 5.25 inch backspace.

A stock height 84-95 XJ will fit 31x10.5 tires on stock rims.

Tire rub on the lower control arms can be eliminated by adjusting the steering stops on the axle spindles (or just don't hold the steering at full lock). The corner of the tire tread may also rub the lower front fender flair inner liner in a bump while turning, but this minor rubbing is limited to the black plastic liner. These two points of tire rub contact will occur with or without any lift, and with almost any back space rim and 31 inch tall tires. If you do not get twisted up off road, the 31's will only rub in these areas.

With the stock rims and 31 inch tires, you may get some tire rub above the front coils and inside the rear fender tubs above the axle, at full flex off road with the sway bars removed, but that inside rub on smooth metal is preferred to outer fender rub on sharp edged metal.

If you experience more tire rub, the addition of 1 inch to the front and rear bump stops will eliminate the concern (a hockey puck up front inside each spring, and a spacer in back above the bump stop, what is needed at any lift height and taller tires).

A point of reference on back space, is that I run 33x12.5 tires on 15x8 rims with 4.75 inch back space (no need for rims that push the tire out further with less backspace, just fender trimming and flair relocations, and a little more lift height).

Ed has a good description. Stock rims are going to help you if you want to keep the stock fenders, because it keeps the tires inside the fenders. Specifically with a 31x10.5. It does have other trouble spots (lower control arms, inner fender, etc), but those aren't too hard to address.

Back