• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guidance - Axle width advice

CLSegraves

NAXJA Forum User
I could use some guidance as to whether or not narrowing an axle for my 2001 XJ if the right thing to do. This weekend I picked up a D60 out of a 05 Super Duty and my gut says narrow it, but I want input from people who know more than me.

I've been running 35s on the trussed HP D30 in my XJ for the past 3 years and it's performed very well. However, I'm in the final parts collection phase (odds and ends... already have the engine/adapters/wiring/etc.) of a LS1 swap and I want to move up to 37s or 38s. So I've outgrown the D30....

My rear axle is a trussed XJ D44 with 30 spline axles so I'm considering continuing to run it for a little while (or not... that's up in the air).

The listed values I find on the net are:

XJ D30 - WMS to WMS: 60 5/8"
SD D60 - WMS to WMS: 72"

I did a quick and dirty comparison of the D30 vs D60 width vs. pinion location. It looks like if I cut 8" off the passenger (long) side tube, that will both bring the axle down to 64" and get the pinion yoke into the D30/factory location. I currently run 3.5" backspaced 9.5" wheels. I have to buy new wheels anyways, so if I move to a 4.5" backspaced wheel I would be almost the same width as I am now. I plan to shave the center section to pick up/regain 1"-1.5" of ground clearance. I'm not concerned with the difficulty or cost of narrowing the axle. I'll be removing the inner Cs regardless in order to set the pinion/caster angle and it looks like I can have the axle shaft re-splined for $75-$100.

My question is purely one of "should I?" for performance reasons. I've always tried to keep my vehicle as low CG/compact as possible, but then I've never wheeled a wide axle vehicle before. I like to rock crawl and it's been my experience that where the wider JK/JL track width get hung up/have to work over things, the slightly narrower XJ track width gives me more lines to pick (I'm jealous of the samurai that sometimes goes with us and goes around everything**). BUT, I always hear people talking about the added stability afforded by wider axles.

So if I cut it down, what am I giving up?

Would h1 wheels narrow it up alittle the exact offset I cant remember off the top of my head 6.5 maybe 8" offset.

They come with 37s on them

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Would h1 wheels narrow it up alittle the exact offset I cant remember off the top of my head 6.5 maybe 8" offset.

They come with 37s on them

I considered that.
- To run H1 wheels, I'd need new centers and from the looks of it, I wouldn't be TOO far off from just getting a "custom" set of steel wheels made (which I could easily get a 6" inset).
- From what I read, it seems the military 37s that come on the H1s are really poor performers.

I even tossed around the idea of just taking the factory F250 steel 17 x 7-1/2 and welding a beadlock ring on it. But then again, by the time I'm done with that I'm probably not too far off just getting the custom wheel made.

I considered that.
- To run H1 wheels, I'd need new centers and from the looks of it, I wouldn't be TOO far off from just getting a "custom" set of steel wheels made (which I could easily get a 6" inset).
- From what I read, it seems the military 37s that come on the H1s are really poor performers.
- H1 wheels are 16.5" which seems to be a really odd size.

I even tossed around the idea of just taking the factory F250 steel 17 x 7-1/2 and welding a beadlock ring on it. But then again, by the time I'm done with that I'm probably not too far off just getting the custom wheel made.

The tires tread looks like a good all around offroaddesign
Your axles must be new enugh 8x6.5 is the wrong bolt pattern?

Bfg also has military rubber for the 16.5s that's more popular than the standerd rubber.

Prices have risen in the last few years as the offroad market has been gobbling up the humvee take offs.

You are right if you have to recenter it's not worth it ups the cost alot and also kicks back spacing out to 4" maybe 4.75" wich defeats the purpose anyways.

The tires tread looks like a good all around offroaddesign
Your axles must be new enugh 8x6.5 is the wrong bolt pattern?

Bfg also has military rubber for the 16.5s that's more popular than the standerd rubber.

Prices have risen in the last few years as the offroad market has been gobbling up the humvee take offs.

You are right if you have to recenter it's not worth it ups the cost alot and also kicks back spacing out to 4" maybe 4.75" wich defeats the purpose anyways.

Yes, my D60 is out of a 2005 Super Duty so it has the metric 8 x 170 bolt pattern.

I think I'd scrap that plan and run a non cad d60 out of a 2000-2002 dodge along with its matching 70cc.

Hopefully your Ford dana 60 isnt a dana 61

Back