• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint came apart during removal

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I was trying to remove the upper on my truck and I ended up pressing the threaded shaft and spring and everything straight out of the top of the joint, so now I have just the housing of the joint in there and nothing on the bottom to press against. I'm thinking I just need to get the angle grinder out and cut some relief cuts on the upper part of the housing (above the C) and release some of the tension.

Any thoughts?

What about putting a piece of round bar stock into the socket left behind? Something large enough to be stable while pressing it out.

What about putting a piece of round bar stock into the socket left behind? Something large enough to be stable while pressing it out.

Most ball joint press set have the correct size cup to push the complete ball joint out without breaking it. If you haven't already gotten the remainder out, go to one of those discount parts stores and borrow their tool set.

I was using a parts store ball joint kit when it popped out. I did end up cutting some relief cuts in it and I suppose they helped. When I was working on it the other day, I didn't think to pull the jackstand out from under the axle to get it to full droop so I could get a breaker bar on it. I also used a socket to press against the bottom of the joint to push it out that last half inch. Ball joints are all out, and new ones ready to go i.

Back