NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2020, 15:16
NAXJA Member

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-tonxj View Post
Looking at the 2019 3500 tradesmen with the aisin and HO 6.7 ... my truck runs well but it is getting close to 200k and I just want a truck that only needs me to turn the key and go for another 100-200k miles without wondering what might need replaced . They keep bumping up the power of these 6.7 I'm really curious how their reliability is vs my 1st gen 6.7 ...lol... b4 I trade it in and jump into another 700 monthly payment only to want to possibly set it on fire .
Don't do it. New Cummins are junk. Aisin trans is better, but all the Chrysler ram Fiat crap whatever is garbage. Just had like 4 6.7s in all with the same turbo problem. $6k for new turbo. $5k is just the parts.
Old January 13th, 2020, 18:55
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Don't do it. New Cummins are junk. Aisin trans is better, but all the Chrysler ram Fiat crap whatever is garbage. Just had like 4 6.7s in all with the same turbo problem. $6k for new turbo. $5k is just the parts.

They keep pushing up the hp/trq on these b series diesels and it's probablynot helping the longevity of the motors ...lol... they're getting numbers out of 408 cubic inches that are close to 8-900 cubic inches on the semi trucks and semi trucks are loafing on power since they're built to last more than 100k miles . I'll just keep what I got and add some bling to it ...lol... I'm told by my dad that buying a new diesel that only tows a toy is not wise spending...he might be right ;-)
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:56
NAXJA Member

Ordering suspension parts for the Dodge ... 5 inch lift ...maybe swap the bumper for an aftermarket, but I'm not sold on the look vs stock bumper it always looks like the aftermarket bumpers don't look as good as factory on these trucks . And probably going with 22x12 wheel on 35-37 ... might run my still run my almost new 35s . Going for the wide not much tire under the fender look . And a 4:56 gear swap from the 3:73 ... I just got bored with thecstock look after 9 years of owning it and don't want to buy a new truck with a 5 year payment on a truck that only tows a toy , so time turn the Dodge into another constant project...lol
Old January 18th, 2020, 15:37
NAXJA Member

Cracks me up how drivers will take i80 knowing it's goimg to close and In true Wyoming fashion close for 24 hrs or more ...vs just chaining on 70
Old January 19th, 2020, 20:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-tonxj View Post
I'm kinda pissed off with HTP...lol... I had destroyed a mug gum with flex neck a year ago trying to " remove" the diffuser tip , which I was unsuccessful and only succeeded in cracking most of the gun . Well on my new 15ft flex neck HTP gun I boogered a thread on the diffuser tip , so I ordered two new diffuser tips from usaweld they show the guns flex and standard, well they don't say you can't just swap the diffuser tip off like most any mig gun , but rather you must replace the entire flex neck since instead of threaded on diffuser tip it's one giant molded piece crimped onto the copper instead of having a threaded end to easily and cheaply replAce a diffuser tip , which I get for my hobart/Miller at $18 for a two pack... this damn gums diffuser tip costs 1/3rd the damn gun . I sent them an message since their website makes it seem like you can buy the diffuser tip they show and replace just that and that's how I broke the last one as I thought I just got the thread direction wrong and now I got parts in the mail that clearly aren't going to work... I'm so pissed this gun is made like this without knowing before buying that I'm tempted to toss it on the trash and buy another Miller hobart gun.

Attachment 6950

Attachment 6952

As you can see the tip end is all one solid piece then just crimped as one entire piece. In the top pick you can see the rubber insulator sleeve I removed so I could see just what was holding this piece on ...lol... not only is it an expensive way to put it together when it comes time to replace the diffuser , but compared to simply spinning off a diffuser tip on my hobart gun which takes about 30 seconds to swap a tip this POS is like taking a normal gun apart to swap a liner .
I've never seen those "flex tips" before now. Do they hold a contour and angle after you shape them, or do they just flop around if you don't hold them in position?
Old January 20th, 2020, 09:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoid View Post
I've never seen those "flex tips" before now. Do they hold a contour and angle after you shape them, or do they just flop around if you don't hold them in position?
I've had an HTP flex neck for at least a few years now on my Hobart 180.

Would never go back to a rigid neck ever again.

They hold the angle. Makes it really nice for tight spots, and even using the gun more in a "pencil fashion" in areas.
Old January 22nd, 2020, 20:37
NAXJA Member

Today's cold start of the commander brings a glorious ticking sound from the 5.7 litres engine bay which I believe I have Chrysler's use of cast iron + aluminum to thank for this tick as it certainly sounds like the exhaust manifold... lol... it's not real high on my priority list to get fixed , but if I keep it I'll have to fix it since it bugs me like a mil light.
Old January 23rd, 2020, 17:29
NAXJA Member

Looking around a little I found passenger side rear stud broke with the heat shield loose...be ordering at least one new header since it's probably warped and not worth the work to pull it off and put trash back on . Will need to check driver side when I got time to be more involved since it's not as easy as pass side to see. Looks like everything on both sides plus inner splash shield will need removed to make room for the job...ahhh the pride and joy of ownership .
Old January 25th, 2020, 17:36
NAXJA Member

After driving the ol' bucket onto the newly rebuilt trailer I realize I absolutely don't like the 10 inch steering wheel it's just on the way to small side it requires to much turning and feels cumbersome in its application , so going to find a quick release hub and something in the 12-13 inch wheel diameter . This Grant wheel I simply installed by cutting the threaded steel section out of the stock wheel and then welded that threaded section to the wheel what I'd like to find is a wheel and hub that are quick release but don't stick way the he'll out
Old Yesterday, 09:42
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post

Just popped in my head ... you do realize my tow rig is a 6.7 / 68rfe already not a 5.9/ 48rh . Folks get thrown off because it's the last year for the 3rd gen dodge body style so when the hood is popped 408 cubic inches resides under the hood not 360 . I don't know what they've changed on the newer set up for the turbo but my he351ve vgt turbo has 197,000 miles on it with all a
emissions still in place . I don't run above stock settings very often since I'm not deleted and have a stock 68rfe. The 5.9s didn't even come with an exhaust brake system stock ( fail) .