• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erratic turn signal malfunction

kboyts

NAXJA Forum User
I have an erratic problem with my turn signals. Its been getting more frequent to where its a problem now. When i move the signal stalk to turn them on the lights will flash once or twice then stop working. Sometimes you can hear the flasher module click but the lights wont even blink once, sometimes nothing happens at all. When it first started happening you could turn the lever off manually then back on and they would work. That doesnt do any good anymore.

Does this sound like a problem with the flasher module or the signal stalk switch itself? And where would be the best place to get the parts to fix it? How difficult is it to replace the signal lever?

helps to know what year xj your talking about? not all xj's have the same columns and electronics.

do all the bulbs check out ok?

have you tried swapping the turn signal flasher with the hazzard flasher?

Yes, the flashers are on the drivers side, below and to the left of the steering column, but not in the kick panel.

My bet is that the turn signal stalk/switch is bad. It's a common issue on the 97-01, and you stated that it was working if you messed with the switch, and has now stopped completely.

Yes, the flashers are on the drivers side, below and to the left of the steering column, but not in the kick panel.

My bet is that the turn signal stalk/switch is bad. It's a common issue on the 97-01, and you stated that it was working if you messed with the switch, and has now stopped completely.

X2^^! I have replaced a BUNCH of these things. They will usually cause the hazards to come on with the left turn signal (its all one unit) when they go bad

$65 from the dealer, not a aftermarket item.

X2^^! I have replaced a BUNCH of these things. They will usually cause the hazards to come on with the left turn signal (its all one unit) when they go bad

$65 from the dealer, not a aftermarket item.

Checker (Kragen) carries them aftermarket for $65. The dealership gets $78, at least around here in Colorado. Ask me how I know. I'll be picking up one from a fellow member from a parts vehicle this weekend.

I just installed my second multifunction (turn signal) switch in 3 years. The right indicator wouldn't light at all, and if you wiggled the hazard switch all hell would break loose. Local Jeep dealer claimed the switch (for 97 XJ) was on epic backorder - I got an aftermarket Borg Warner switch for $55. It works, but the OE switch is of marginally higher quality. Try to get an OE unit first, otherwise, get the aftermarket and don't sweat it.

Heheheh - I worked for Standard; left a couple years ago. The BWD switch I just installed should be the same one CarQuest sells - just a different box. At least it was easy to copy/paste the application information and technical specs. :paperwork

Anyway, it's been a week and no problems with it.

Is this something a driveway weekend warrior can replace? And what is the exact name of the switch (i.e with part number). My wife is really getting frustrated that her turn signals don't work.

Definitely. Toughest part is getting the plastic housing off the steering column (I'm assuming it's a new enough XJ that it doesn't have the old round column shells that you have to pull the steering wheel to get at) - if you can do that it's pretty simple. Get the plastic housings off without breaking the retention clips :)roflmao::gonnablow) then you will just need a T15/T20/T25 (I forget which) TAMPERPROOF screwdriver to remove the switch from the column and a smallish, commonly sized nutdriver or ratchet to liberate the connector from the switch. Then put it all back together.

You can get a full set of tamperproof bits and a magnetic screwdriver as a set from Sears for about 20 bucks, or could a few years ago anyways.

Mine is a 99 XJ sport. I got all the plastic off once, but got down to the tamperproof screws :)soapbox: why would Chrysler use these unless they were trying to force us to pay $100/hour labor).

Anyone know the part number, so I can order it from the Stealership?

edit: Ok...I guess it is actually called the "Multi-Function Switch"

Last edited:
The tamperproofs aren't bad. As I see it, they make it so only people who like tampering with things will be able to get at them :D

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00960836000P should help. I'm not sure they still carry the set I got, check in store for it.

Back