• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ stalls need help diagnosing

Yahooty

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with a 4.0, automatic trans and about 170K miles. Several times now the rig has sputtered to a stop while driving. I can put it in neutral and it may keep running, but the rpms drop way down. If I feather the gas pedal the rpms will go up and down a little.

It almost seems like it it not getting fuel. I'm also thinking it could be the catalytic converter maybe too, but seriously, I'm no mechanic.

I nursed it home last night with lots of sputtering, etc. Any ideas?? I'm sorry, but I won't be able to answer right away.

Thanks

You should start your diagnostics by checking for any saved or pending Check Engine Light trouble codes.

The symptoms should make you suspect the fuel pressure, the Crankshaft Position Sensor, the Idle Air Controller, and the battery. Test each of these, and also visually inspect the wire connections and wires for each. The Cat Converter has a service life of about 150,000 miles, if you suspect it is old, or failing, you should consider replacing it.

Back