• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange clunking noise when going over bumps.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ that i just bought. It has 111,000 miles on it. It is all stock and original suspension. When i am driving on smooth roads it is nice and quiet. As soon as i hit a pothole filled bumpy road. i hear a clunking noise. Out of experience with these vehicle does anyone know what the problem may be?

its probably a shock that's not tight (check under the hood, on the top of the wheel well, its probably not tightened down), it could be control arm bushings, it could also be the sway bar bushings. My guess is that its a bushing though. Where does it sound like its coming from?

Check the clearance where the down/crossover pipe goes over the tranny/transfer cross member. Grab the exhaust between the muffler and the cat (after it cools down:twak: ) and give it a good shake up and down. Sometimes the clamps relax a bit and the whole exhaust system sags some.
A worn trac bar will also pop when you hit a bump and/or turn a corner. As will the ball joints.

I have that problem with mine, its is the exhaust hitting the crossmember. there should be a hanger there, mine broke a week after it was fixed.

Ok, it is not the exhaust. That is nice and tight. It looks like the rubber in the sway arm bushing on the passenger side is the problem. The rubber is squished and there is a nice dent/rub mark on the metal part of the bushing. I do not have much knowledge of front suspension components. Can I just loosen the bolts on the sway arm bushings and remove the tie rods and drop the sway bar? Can this be done with tires on the ground or will it have to be jacked up to relieve any pressure? Should my local auto parts store have these bushing? Any tricks to swapping the bushings?

Thanks,
Dan

You can get those bushings from just about any auto parts store. The bushings can be changed with the wheels on the ground on a flat surface. The bushings are split so you can slide them around the bar on the frame mounting. just remove the bolts on both sides, take off the old & install the new & bolt it back up. If it is the links that attach to the axel, the top install like upper shock mount (rubber cushion on both sides of sway bar end) & bottom bolts to axel. Sometimes you may have to jack the body slightly to get things to line up. It should be straight forward.

Woooohoooo!! I just broke one on the bolts off on the sway bar bushings mount. Looks like I am starting off on a bad weekend. Thank god I still have my Grand Cherokee lease until the end of July. I think I will wait until Monday and work on at at my work. At lease I have plenty of tools there. At lease it is a flush mount shear off condition. Think i will try and soak it with WD-40 over the weekend then try drilling it out at work on monday.

Man, I have the same noise. So far I've swapped Ball Joints, Tie Rod ends, added Bar Pin Eliminators, checked all the shocks, checked the exhaust. I've taken a cursory glance at the track bar, all seems well. Only thing I have left is drag link. Mine comes from passenger side only.

p.s. Mako Mfg. sucks.
1994 XJ

newjeepowner said:
Woooohoooo!! I just broke one on the bolts off on the sway bar bushings mount. Looks like I am starting off on a bad weekend. Thank god I still have my Grand Cherokee lease until the end of July. I think I will wait until Monday and work on at at my work. At lease I have plenty of tools there. At lease it is a flush mount shear off condition. Think i will try and soak it with WD-40 over the weekend then try drilling it out at work on monday.

PB Blaster not WD-40. It'll work MUCH better.

Back