• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking when I hit bumps. Going crazy. Tried just about everything.

RoyalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been dealing with this clunking in the front end for the past 2 months and I can't figure out the problem. The front end makes a clunking sound when I hit bumps. My setup consists of BDS triangular 4 link longarm, 7.5" coils, RE1660 track bar and RE1665 bracket. I have replaced both unit bearings, control arm bushings on the axle. I rebuilt all my flex ends, everything is tight. Track and bracket were tighten and loc tited. My steering box was loose at one time but that was loc lited as well. All this stuff has been done and yet I am still getting the same sound. One thing I have noticed is my pinion yoke has some slop and my driver axle doesnt seem to be centered in the axle tube. Seems like it sits more toward the top of the axle tube. Could this mean bad pinion and maybe differential bearings? Could the bad bearings be causing this clunking. I'm at wits end with this thing. I have searched time and time again and have came up with nothing. Anyone have any input on this? Is there something I'm over looking?? Thanks

Check your shock absorber bushings (both ends, the stem bushings in particular, harder to see)? Maybe U-joints or balljoints?

How are your motor mounts?

brand new motor mounts, alloy shafts with new u joints, replaced shock busings as well. ball joints were also replaced. ive tried just about everything besides the dif and pinion bearings

Check your shock absorber bushings (both ends, the stem bushings in particular, harder to see)? Maybe U-joints or balljoints?

X2, based on everything you've checked/replaced so far, I would look at shocks next. Worn bushings will creat a "clunk" sound, and check to make sure your shock bolts haven't worked loose.

A bad shock internally can also clunk... sounds like you've canvassed everything pretty well though. Maybe it's time to open up that D30.

Ross has a good point, my exhaust made me think I had all sorts of horrible drivetrain issues for a while last year. On the same train of thought, check your transmission mount.

Did you try removing your front driveshaft? maybe that's clunking something?

Which foot is it stronger in? Left foot would make me suspect that maybe your transmission crossmember/longarm crossmember is coming loose maybe, because it'll conduct up the frame member right under your left foot quite nicely. Exhaust also hangs on the same crossmember, but you checked that already.

My shock top was loose once and it took forever to figure it out.
Still don't understand why it was so loud because the rubber was still on there.

Here is another search method that helped me once...

Usually rocking the rig up and down is too slow a change to hear the clunk sitting still.
Have a buddy (one you trust) hit the front of each tire with a sledge hammer, the jolt may get the clunking noise identified.

Back