• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DISC CONVERSION E BRAKE?

CMAHON

NAXJA Forum User
Did the zj swap on my 01. Anyone have any suggestions or thing that they have done to hook up the e brake? Also i have a 6in lift if it matters.

Try searching first.
I posted my solution to this problem within the last week.

I wouldn't be posting if i didn't searched..... all the postings have some suggestions but not any real conclusion. what was the title of your post and i will search for that?

Use e-brake cables from a 1996 Ford Explorer. They have the correct fittings on both ends and are longer.

NAPA part numbers
UP 95064
UP 95427

One of my local club members has 6" of lift and Tera-Flex disks. The e-brake set up is the same as the ZJ. He used the Explorer cables.

assuming your cables were long enough and you didn't want to spend a lot of money you could use a single chain link for each side

You put one side of the link around the e-brake lever and the other side over the e-brake cable end, and clamp the middle of the chain link.......just make sure you keep appropriate tension on the cable and it'll never unhook itself

i've had this setup for about 3 years now without a problem

it was just your basic galvanized chain you can get from lowes, probably b/w 1/2" and 3/4" wide

i might be able to snap a pic of it for you tomorrow

OOOOOH. YOU WELDED THE ACTUAL TWO LEVERS TOGETHER NOT THE CABLE TO THE LEVER. SORRY FOR THE CAPS. OOPS. Sorry for sounding so dence but you just cut the exposed part of the xj lever, and welded that to the zj lever, correct?

OOOOOH. YOU WELDED THE ACTUAL TWO LEVERS TOGETHER NOT THE CABLE TO THE LEVER. SORRY FOR THE CAPS. OOPS. Sorry for sounding so dense but you just cut the exposed part of the xj lever, and welded that to the zj lever, correct?

That's correct. Chop the ends off; discard the XJ arms and ZJ ends.
Grind and bevel the ZJ arms and XJ ends.
Make sure the XJ ends positioned properly with the ZJ arms (there's a left and right arm) and then weld.
Sorry the photo does not clearly show the weld.

Moving the parking brake bracket rearward is what make this mod work.
http://tinyurl.com/may4bb
The rear of my XJ is sitting at 4" (with 8.5" of shock travel) and the driver's side parking brake cable does not bind when flexed to either side. This may not be true with higher lifts or longer travel shocks.

i can't weld so....

i ended up cutting the ends off the xj cables, trimmed the return springs. made a loop in the cable and cable clamped the loop then all you gots to do is hook the lever. i made the loops on the small side they were a bitch to get on but they are not coming off on there own.

i could not get the cable close enough together with the nub still on. so i clipped it and made a hole that was just big enough to secure it.

its not necessary i guess but it works well. i might have a pic ill look and see.

Back