• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which is better? shocks that are too short or shocks that are too long?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
which is better? shocks that are too short or shocks that are too long?
I know it is an odd question...

I am lifting the XJ 3", budget is running short...

I could use stock XJ shocks (maybe make some long BPE)

or I know where some stock XJ Up Country shocks are at ($20 for the set)

stock ZJ shocks (also $20)

stock MJ shocks (again $20)

or worn out 3"-4" rough country shocks (also $20, seems like a waste)

or 5"-6" lift shocks, nearly new ($45 for the set)

other options;

1. move the axle mounts to fit shorter shocks properly

2. don't lift until you can afford proper shocks

3. lift, measure and buy the proper length shocks

other options;

1. move the axle mounts to fit shorter shocks properly

2. don't lift until you can afford proper shocks

3. lift, measure and buy the proper length shocks
#2 is the best option. Either wait to install the lift until you have the proper shocks, buy a lift that comes with the proper shocks, or run what you got and blow them out, wasting more money.

what if I use stock shocks and make bar pin eliminators that are 2"-3" tall?

also I plan to upgrade to a 4"-5" setup

so maybe the long shocks would work for me
Assuming you don't blow them from bottoming out before lifting it.

the rears I am looking at are compressed at 17 3/4" and extended at 28"

but on the lift I am looking to run the shocks would rest at around 19" to 20" (or 21" when I go up to 4.5" lift)

the up travel would be bad... but the available down travel would be great... but I would need extended bumpstops for sure

the rears I am looking at are compressed at 17 3/4" and extended at 28"

but on the lift I am looking to run the shocks would rest at around 19" to 20" (or 21" when I go up to 4.5" lift)

the up travel would be bad... but the available down travel would be great... but I would need extended bumpstops for sure
Or just save a little longer and buy the right size and have a good performing rig with balanced flex.

IMO, the worst thing is to have too little compression length. If you "bottom-out" the shocks you will feel it in everyday driving because they will bottom-out over every speed bump and dip in the road. If there is too little extension, all you do is limit extension capability offroad, you probably don't ruin them. Most of the time it is the shocks that are the limiting factor in suspension down travel anyway.

Which isn't any good anyways...well at least in anything faster than crawling.

IMO, the worst thing is to have too little compression length. If you "bottom-out" the shocks you will feel it in everyday driving because they will bottom-out over every speed bump and dip in the road. If there is too little extension, all you do is limit extension capability offroad, you probably don't ruin them. Most of the time it is the shocks that are the limiting factor in suspension down travel anyway.

From someone who has had shocks that are too long, this is very true. It sucks bottoming out going over bumps/dips all the time. I used them as bump stops for too long before I replaced them with shorter shocks. (New rear axle with raised shock mounts made them too short)

Another thing to think about is you can easily rip the shock mounts off the axle after a period of time. I ended up ripping one rear mount off during one offroad trip. The stock shock mounts aren't that strong either, I ripped one off without even knowing it one trip since the factory weld was pretty poor, and wrapped the shock around the axle.

Last edited:
Talk to Grimus about some shocks.. He works for RC and gets good deals. You can probably get a set of 4 for under 100$. Their shocks for 3-3.5" lift I believe are same PN as ones for 4.5"

X3. Too long and you'll beat the crap out of them every time you go over a big bump. Too short and it really won't matter unless you're flexing while wheeling, at which point it just makes you suck more than usual. You have to try pretty hard to blow one up if it's too short and you are crawling.

PS: I have blown one - got a bit rambunctious and ripped a bar pin out. If I had realized before finishing the wheeling run I probably would have been able to reuse it, it got shredded by the shock mount though and leaked all the fluid out. Fortunately it was one of those awesome bright red gabriel guardians from autozone and they come with a lifetime warranty!

Make sure you take into account replacing your brake lines, if you don't you will rip one off and that sucks. When the bar pin broke, it stopped limiting my droop and I blew up a brake line on the way home.

Also, if you do get longer shocks.. Extend the bump stops more than you would with taller lift.. This will prevent them from bottom out.

Also, if you do get longer shocks.. Extend the bump stops more than you would with taller lift.. This will prevent them from bottom out.

x2.

Go with the longer shocks and bumpstop cuz you will end up going higher later on and need longer shocks again. I've gone through so many shocks over the years and my rule of thumb is to have at least 4" of shock shaft showing for DD driving so it doesn't bottom out. Then bumpstop so you have 3" uptravel (bumpstops compress some so it should stop the shock just before it's fully compressed). This setup as worked great on and off road.

Back