• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory winch mount with aftermarket winch

BlackXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone used the factory winch mount behind the bumper with an aftermarket winch(9000lb)and if so how has it held up?

If I remember correctly that winch was only a 2000lb winch, so I would not trust that it will hold up to a 9000lb winch. I don't think one would fit anyway. I have built my winch into the grill area. A trick I learnt from Rob Patterson. I toyed with idea of building a mount behind the bumper but then dissmissed because of debri concerns, and overheating of the winch. I use a warn 8274 and it is too big to go beneath anyhow. Hope this helps.

Simon

Thanks for the info. My winch will physically fit and I am putting in a reinforced mount from one side to the other so I think it will hold. Still pondering what to do about debris . Anyone else ever use this?

I have the factory designed for dealer installation winch setup on my 87xj. The system was designed by Ramsey for Jeep. I have a Ramsey 6000# winch installed. When I was doing research befor I installed the kit I called Ramsey and asked they're techs about installing an 8000# winch on that mount. They said 6000# was max so as not to overstress the mount kit.

I have a Ramsey 8000 winch, which I want to install on my XJ, but I am kind of short in cash (so I can't afford a winch bumper), so I would be interested in seeing pictures of that mounting system you are talking about.

I've seen a couple of Cherokees with winches mounted below the standard bumper, but this is not a place I want to put my winch, it reduces my approach angle.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tnx and rgds

Hey black, which winch are you using? I have a BPI front non winch bumper but eventually I may get one and Ill be needing the smallest (sized) one I can find.

GSequoia said:
sv1cec: DrawTite font reciever & wqinch tray.... (rated at 9000 lbs pull) That way you can put it out back too!

This is just fantastic! I owe you one Sir!

I am ordering one, right now. All I have to figure out now, is how to replace my stupid rear hitch (just a flat bar with a tow ball on the top) with a real hitch square tube, to be able to use my winch from both the front and the rear.

Again, many thanks

I have one of the receiver mounted winchs. I will no longer use them. When ever I got stuck going forwdr I could not get the winch in, some cases not in the rear either. It is mounted too low. I then left it in but that caused my front approach angle to dissapear. It also allowed what ever was in front of me to hit the winch, instead of a bumper. I finaly built my own bumper and moved my 8274 in to the grill area, about 1/4" away from the evaporater.

Ramsey sold it themselfs with an 8000# winch with it. I had this setup on my 90 XJ. The mount was great but the winch sucked. I'm not sure if there is room for a 9000# winch. If you are using all the factory brackets including the side tow hook mounts that tie back to the large holes on the side it should hold up to the 9000# if you could make it fit. I use the same basic concept when I designed my bumper and it holds up to the use of a 9500# warn with no problem.

mark
orgs mfg

I will be using the Milemarker 9000lb winch. It was the smallest dia. I could find. It should be here in a few days and I will post if it fits or not. Any thoughts about mounting it between the mount and the bumper. It will require some mods to the bumper, but hey, I get to weld and cut metal. Anyone used this winch? How well did it work.?

simonsxj said:
I have one of the receiver mounted winchs. I will no longer use them. When ever I got stuck going forwdr I could not get the winch in, some cases not in the rear either. It is mounted too low. I then left it in but that caused my front approach angle to dissapear. It also allowed what ever was in front of me to hit the winch, instead of a bumper. I finaly built my own bumper and moved my 8274 in to the grill area, about 1/4" away from the evaporater.

My thought was to have the winch permanently in its base, in the trunk. When going off road, I would just put it on, and leave it there. I am not sure how low it sits (and hense how much it reduces the approach angle), but for less than 200 US$, you have a winching solution. An ARB bumper here costs at least 700 US$, and even if I get one, I would have to remove the bars above it, because these are not allowed in Greece. So the hitch mount is a viable alternative for me.

Rgds

Can someone using a DrawTite front receiver and the winch tray post some pictures here?

I would like to see how far down this whole setup goes with and without the winch.

Many thanks

I don't have the winch tray, but here's the receiver. One thing to note. Draw-Tite has a special setup on their receivers, there's two holes for the pin. They have a special J-Pin that you can use, basically it holds the tray in better...

Here's a link to the company I bought my receiver from, they have the trays too: http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/

And the picture: I'll get you a better one later if I can..
Big%20Bear%20Run%2005.jpg

I just did this install about a month or two ago, so if you have any quetsions fire away.

hey SV1CEC, have you considered a BPI fab bumper? At $308, Their winch version is extremely cheap compared to others, and they don't have a brushgaurd so they will comply with the laws in Athens.
By the time you add up the cost of a draw tite and the extra wiring running to the back of the rig, the additional cost may be pretty reasonable. Additionally, the departurre angle is incredible.
Don't you have the hookup to shipping from the states or something?

cherokee_bg1.jpg

I dig the Musso. I lived in Korea for a while and used to think they were the crappiest joke of a vehicle in stock form. Ive seen them bottom out in big potholes. Never new they could be built to be so badass.

GSequoia said:
I don't have the winch tray, but here's the receiver. One thing to note. Draw-Tite has a special setup on their receivers, there's two holes for the pin. They have a special J-Pin that you can use, basically it holds the tray in better...

Here's a link to the company I bought my receiver from, they have the trays too: http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/

And the picture: I'll get you a better one later if I can..

I just did this install about a month or two ago, so if you have any quetsions fire away.

I would appreciate if you do snap some more pics for me. Did you had tow hooks before? Can you still keep them on or do you have to remove them?

From what I see, it sits almost as low as the plastic air dam (or whatever you call it) that I now have at the front, below my bumper.

I still like the idea, but I would prefer to see some more pictures before making up my mind.

Again, many thanks!

Rgds

Lucas said:
hey SV1CEC, have you considered a BPI fab bumper? At $308, Their winch version is extremely cheap compared to others, and they don't have a brushgaurd so they will comply with the laws in Athens.
By the time you add up the cost of a draw tite and the extra wiring running to the back of the rig, the additional cost may be pretty reasonable. Additionally, the departurre angle is incredible.
Don't you have the hookup to shipping from the states or something?

Hi Lucas,

Hmm, here is another interesting solution. Yes, I like their bumper, but I just get scared thinking how much that would cost me to have it shipped from US to Greece. I like that bumper, especially the way it is cut at the corners to increase the approach angle. I also like the D-ring mounting points.

Do you have a web site for BPI? Maybe a combined purchase of front and rear bumpers with tire carrier would be interesting, sharing the shipping cost between more items.

I do have a friend who is arranging things, when I get parts from US, and he has been a great help until now, but I hate having to bother him again and again. He has his life to live.

I dig the Musso. I lived in Korea for a while and used to think they were the crappiest joke of a vehicle in stock form. Ive seen them bottom out in big potholes. Never new they could be built to be so badass.

The Musso is a very interesting truck. It has a very strong frame, and the parts are top quality (D44 at the rear, D30 at the front, Mercedes engines, Borg Warner gearboxes and transfer cases). They can be modified to excellent off-roaders, but obviously not rock crawlers! And their internal space is vast, you tend to ... loose things in there. With a 2" suspension lift and an equal body lift, you can fit 33" tires. If only they had a solid axle at the front!!!

Thanks for taking the time to write. I might check the BPI bumper, when the time comes, but I need to check on the shipping cost first.

Kind regards

Last edited:
K9Cop said:
Hey John,
Found the site XJ BPI Fab Bumper. Hope that helps.

K9 Cop

Thank you, for the URL, I appreciate it.

The front bumper looks huge. However, it is indeed a good value. What I fall in love with though, is their rear bumper! I guess I need to come up with some cash, pronto!

Rgds

Back