• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help installing

1989laredoxj

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone in the boston area capable of installing a transmission. I am willing to pay or maybe trade for something...something along those lines. My jeep is below stock height because of age. So I am sure a lift or something will be needed. I don't to get reemed out by a shop but I want it done right. PM me or leave one here thanks cody

It isnt all that complicated as long as you have the time and a little bit of know how. Just buy four jack stands to get it high enough off the ground. Im 17 and i helped my dad the first time we put a clutch in, which requires removing the tranny, and then i did it the second time basicslly by myself with a little help cause its a bit heavy. Oh yeah and buy a manual they are a big help. sorry i cant be of any other help.

scott

either that or the haynes manual. You can also go to the libary and look in the reference books and they sometimes will have the actual shop manual that mechanics use, these are a little more detailed. But you should be fine with the haynes or chiltens.

scott

one of the best investmemnts you can make is to get a FSM (factory service manual).. they can be found used but not too often.. i'm sure they are available to some extent from a dealer.. that would eb the most complete book you can use.. not sure on the pricing..

You basically neeed several tools, 4 jackstands [good ones too], floor jack, basic hand tools and a tranny jack is also handy, sometimes you can rent them from rental centers and harbor freight has one for pretty cheap and it is a cheap one but you're not using it every day either.
I invested in a floor jack about 20 years ago and it has paid for itself many many times, same with the jack stands. You NEVER work under a vehicle with just a floor jack holding it up... If you have a garage or paved area to work in a cheap creeper is also a nice to have thing. A good set of ratchet type jackstands of 5 ton rating are about $30 at walmart, 3 ton floor jack is about $50 at Sears and a creeper is like $20 at most auto stores, I remember the harbor freight tranny jack was like $20 or $25....
Then the hand tools, one odd ball that someone else might better be aware of on your year is a torx ?? on the top of the bell housing....

I have some torx anyone know what size it is that I will need. I kno I can get them at sears. I have a jack and jackstands and an old creeper thing is I dont have the know how to do it. Im afraid I will screw something up and now be able to have a car for a while. I am hoping to get the tranny this weekend. Which im gonna run fluid through it and try and clean it out a bit cause its been sitting open for a while I guess. And then put a new filter.

Anyone else who has read my posts knows my car is slow cause I complain about it in almost each one so today I was under my car and saw the trip down cable. So I decided to try and move the lever arm. The thing is jammed or soemthing I cant get it to move at all. Could this be why my car only gets 2500-3000 rpm.......

someone mentiond you will need a torx bit, well on mine it was actually something like an inverted torx bit. i think they are called star sockets.not sure what size though we just bought a cheapo 8 peice set from northern or some discount tool place. anyways goodluck.

scott

1989laredoxj said:
Anyone else who has read my posts knows my car is slow cause I complain about it in almost each one so today I was under my car and saw the trip down cable. So I decided to try and move the lever arm. The thing is jammed or soemthing I cant get it to move at all. Could this be why my car only gets 2500-3000 rpm.......
early shifting/slipping is a sign of an improperly adjusted throttle valve cable (assuming 4.0L/automatic)

it's quite possible that your cable is jammed/broken.

were you checking the right lever? the shifter is run by a cable as well. have someone stand on the brake pedal and move the shifter while you're looking at the lever you were looking at before. if it moves when they move the shifter, you're looking at the wrong cable.

to adjust the throttle cable, you do this at the throttle body end, engine off:
locate the throttle body and you will see a cable that has a d-shaped piece of metal on the top of it (where the cable clips on to the bracket) press down on this d-shaped piece of metal and slide the piece that the cable itself comes out of away from the throttle body. depress the accelerator to the floor and release.

see what that does.

The cable comes down by the drivers side of the transmission. The cable does into the engine compartment right towards the throttle body but I cant find it from their

haha I couldnt have been anymore wrong.....my jeep came about one inch away from rolling back on me that god i pulled the ebrake before i started the car rolled back a few inches and definatly would have rolled over my because of my driveway is on a slant down. This is the first time I used my ebrake. Thank God it worked.

1989laredoxj said:
Does anyone know what the cable is it comes down to an arm type thing is this my....kick down cable?????
Read CheapXJ's post again. There is no way we can know which cable you're looking at.

Back