• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ran out of talent - Front Diff and TC issues

WraithKWK

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ 4.0
AW4, NP242
6.5" RC Long Arm Lift
HP Dana 30 4:56 Lockrite Lunchbox Locker
Dana 44 4:56 Lockrite Lunchbox Locker

I'm have a number of issues after swaping my lift and axles from my old 89XJ to my new 98XJ.

Some back ground info, as I was installing the lift and axles I had the front lift and front axle installed 4:56 gears and still had the stock rear axle in 3:55 gears, we tried to pull it out of the driveway and apparently it was stuck in 4wd we drove it forward and back ward a few times trying to figure out why it would not drive and kept locking up. We might have damaged something in our exhaustion before the lightbulb came on and we realized what was happening. (I broke a bolt off in the front yoke trying to get the driveshaft out it was so bound up).

I installed the lift, axles, tires ect. to the new Jeep. Then installed an AA SYE on my NP242(Real SYE not the hackn'Tap style). Pulled out of the driveway just fine,then I shifted the transfer case through the gears to make sure it felt right, shifted back to 2wd then took off down the street. The Jeep bound all up and didnt want to move. the front end was not cooperating with the rear. I forcibly limped it back and pulled the front drive shaft. As I pulled the driveshaft I could see the transfer case was twisted (Torqued up)and as the bolt came out it untwisted.

Drove it down the street fine with the front shaft out. Drove it in 2wd and 4wd with the front shaft out and it drove fine. So, I'm guessing something is broke in the front Diff.

OK next one With the front driveshaft out driving really slowly you can hear a squeek like a rotational rubber or plastic type of squeak that you can hear with the rotation of the drive shaft. kind of a
Creak...Creak Creak..Creak Creak Creak
that speeds up as you drive. It's soft so you pretty much have to have you head out the window to hear it. Could that be the Double Cardan Shaft making that type of noise, or could it be something wrong with the SYE install on the transfer case?

Besides the axle diff(s), you may have damaged the inter-axle diff.

ensure that the front lunchbox is working properly.

in 2wd the front output of the transfer case should not be slaved to the main shaft. with the driveshaft out, put the case in 2wd and see if you can spin the front output by hand. roll the jeep around a little, shift the case through its ranges, and repeat. if for some reason you cant spin the front yoke, with the case in 2wd, the issue is in your case.

Back