• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shell V-Power Gas

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I made the 450 mile trip to VA beach. Jeep ran so-so at around 65mph. Seemed to have a mild hesitation at that speed till I took it up over 70 mph. Seemed to smooth out at that point.
Its a 98 4.0 Sport with 89k on the odometer.
When I had to fill up the tank again I used Shell V-Power highest octane they had. Hoping that helps clear out the problem. I think I may have had a tank of bad gas up in PA. Any other ideas if that doesn't help? Its just at around 65 mph.

Also, I am going to get my front tires balanced again. 3 weeks ago I had the tires rotated and balanced. The guy let his 20 year old son do the job and since then the tires (235/75/15) have a shimmy between 50-65 mph. That problem also smoothes out at around 70 mph. So tomorrow morning I am gonna take it to a garage here in VA beach to have it looked at. The steering stabilizer shock also looks like its leaking alot.

One more thing. My volt gauge is between 13-14. Is this normal on a 98 sport? I am just concerned that its not a steady 14.

Just looking for thoughts on these 3 items. Thanks folks.

bustednutz said:
OK, I made the 450 mile trip to VA beach. Jeep ran so-so at around 65mph. Seemed to have a mild hesitation at that speed till I took it up over 70 mph. Seemed to smooth out at that point.
Its a 98 4.0 Sport with 89k on the odometer.

- Clean the IAC sensor with penetrating oil; do NOT pull out the little plunger to help this. Just spray it in, let it sit upright for a few minutes, then gently shake it out. Repeat until the oil comes out clean.

- Spray some cleaner into the manifold while you've got the sensor out.

- Clean the throttle body, manually removing any gunk your cleaner of choice doesn't get with a paper towel.

- Check the plugs while you're under there; replace and re-gap as necessary.

If you're still having problems, suspect the CPS and oxygen sensors.

When I had to fill up the tank again I used Shell V-Power highest octane they had. Hoping that helps clear out the problem. I think I may have had a tank of bad gas up in PA. Any other ideas if that doesn't help? Its just at around 65 mph.

High-octane fuel in an XJ won't do anything for you on a stock motor except empty your wallet faster, but it is definitely worth using good gas (mine seems to particularly like Chevron). After getting a bad tank of gas, I find it helps to reset the computer sometimes - just unplug the battery negative lead for an hour or so and you should be set. Plug it back in and the computer will generally re-learn over the course of the next tank or so of fuel how it should work.

One more thing. My volt gauge is between 13-14. Is this normal on a 98 sport? I am just concerned that its not a steady 14.

Should be fine unless it goes below about 12V. Mine typically runs around 13.5V depending on electrical load.

Back