• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake booster upgrade?

dizzy1316

NAXJA Forum User
So the abs pump died on my beater 90 xj and the master went as well.. Instead of replacing the annoying abs pump I picked up a 97 brake booster master and proportioning valve. I have heard its a simple swap, but has anyone here done it?. Just looking for a few pointers of help. Thanks guys.

!!!1-That's how often its been done. In my experience it was always bolt on, but had to make extension lines from the new master to the exsisting lines from your chassis. I'm sure people will chime in. I would say its a 2 out of 5 in category of difficulty if you are a rookie or novice mechanic.

the 97 booster will require you to modify the pedal rod, other than that it's pretty much a bolt on swap.

I have a write up on here somewhere on my 90 w/o ABS

I'm doing this same swap on my 89 MJ next week. Its easy, just mod the 97 rod to accept the 90 brake light switch and then plumb it in. Now on my MJ I have to run new line to the rear since it has that stupid load sensing prop. valve.

you will have to shorten the pedal rod, and do some grinding to make your brakeswitch fit. other than that, bolts in with brake line extensions.

We did one on a '91 with the crappy ABS. Replaced the master cylinder/booster with the later model. We pulled the pedal out of a '96 and used the whole pedal.

We did one on a '91 with the crappy ABS. Replaced the master cylinder/booster with the later model. We pulled the pedal out of a '96 and used the whole pedal.

I did this to a 90 with abs and a 96 booster except I ground the pedal rod to fit. His route might be easier ^ :D

Somewhere there's a list of applicable boosters and what you need to do to make them fit but I can't seem to find it.

Last edited:

this is what I did as well, way easier to just take the whole pedal assembly.

Back