• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 swap issues

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching and looked up different years/models of Jeeps on both Autozone and CSK but I'm not finding it yet. I'll keep looking too, but I've already read maany write-ups and not seen it addressed.

So I'm swapping an AW4 into my 92 YJ. The AW4 is an OBDII model, not sure what year though. I removed the pilot bearing from my crank and have now realized that the stup on the end of the torque converter is a good .200" smaller in diameter than the pilot hole in the crankshaft. I've been looking to see if there is a pilot bushing I need or if its a year thing. Should I be looking for a pre-96 AW4 or is there a bushing I need? I had a buddy measure the OBDII AW4 he pulled from his 2000 XJ and the stub on his torque converter is the same .8ish" compared to my roughly 1.0" pilot hole. I haven't found an pre-OBDII torque converter to measure.

Is that the double-step converter? If I remember right, it sits on the second, larger step, not the first one. If I remember tomorrow I'll look at the one sitting at work- which is also later-model, 97.

It just has 1 size stub and then a flange. I'll take a pic real quick.

1b676431.jpg

Got to love photobucket upload via iPhone

As I recall, it's not supposed to fit real tight like the pilot bearing/input shaft does on a manual trans.... it's merely a guide to keep it from wobbling/being dangerous should the bolts come loose/fall out.

yup... not a very tight fit.

Do you have 2 speed sensors or only one? That will tell whether it's a 98-01 or 87-97 trans. If it has an NSS on it the connector on that will tell you if it's an 87-96 or a 97-01, and if the connector for the solenoid harness is grey and not rectangular it is a 97. That should narrow things down to the point that you know exactly what model you have.

I'm starting to lean to its fine, but a .200" difference seems a lot. I guess thats only about .100" on either side though.

It's supposed to be a couple thousandths fit. The snout keeps it lined up tight before the bolts get tightened. That's a lot of weight to be wobbling around..

Jeezus Dutch..... fawkin' install the damn thing already ya ninny. :twak:

:D

Sounds like Troy wants to help yank it back out when it vibrates, or cracks the flexplate.. :D

There's a matching set, engine and trans/ converter 20 feet from my toolbox. I'll measure tomorrow to see what's what.

Heres what I found so far
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/151/151-1070215X.pdf

Preparing the Crank Shaft and Converter for Installation:
• Always check the crankshaft pilot for burs and out of round.
• Remove any rust with emery paper and lightly grease pocket receiving torque converter pilot hub.
• Remove paint from the torque converter’s crank pilot hub with emery paper.
• Before installation, pre-fit the torque converter to the flex plate and into the back of the crankshaft;
It should be a snug, even fit (not loose or binding).

• Slowly pour two quarts of automatic transmission fluid into the converter.
• Check the flex plate for cracks or worn teeth.
• Replace the transmission front seal.
• Install the torque converter on the front of the transmission.
• When installing the torque converter onto the transmission, you will feel it seat 3 times for the
input shaft, shaft to stator, and oil pump notches.

Just looked at the one here. There's about a .006" fit between the converter and crank. The small diameter end on the converter is irrelevant, just remove whatever bearing and or bushing is in the way. The large diameter on the converter is piloted to the crank.

Well I found some stuff on the torque converter. I found two part numbers and both show a .825 diameter pilot and are listed for all years of Jeep Cherokee, the difference is just between 6cyl and 4cyl application.

What's the diameter on your torque converters pilot? Of the pilot hole in the crank?

I wonder what the problem here is. Tons of trans swaps have been done by XJ folks here and I don't recall this ever having come up before. Is it a YJ thing? Is the crank of the YJ engine milled differently? I've mated 3 or 4 5-speed engines to autos, removed the pilot bearing and bolted it up, never a problem.

Weird.

Im not sure. I think its a year thing. I had to make my own bushing when I ran a tranny from a 91 in my 92. They did change the size in the crank a couple times.

It could be that people just don't look too. Troy, I would like to know the diameter of the pilot hole on that engine you pulled from Travis' rig, as its almost the same year. But apparently you like to ignore my texts.

Back