• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rats with Hooves:

zluster

NAXJA Forum User
Clipped a bambi on my way down to ouray for the 4th of July. Made out alright on the damage, got a $2200 check from insurance.

So I've been running around taking care of other things, and even though I've had my parts for a month now I finally got around to painting them.

I used some low VOC paint I got in california(which is where I painted the fender the first time), this is weird stuff, has a odd smell, but not much of a smell compared to a urethane or acrylic. What I like about this paint(and also what I don't like) is that it doesn't set up very quickly. Which makes it a little longer to spray something, but when you do finish your final coverage coat and have good color on everything, you let it sit, and 20 mins later it glosses over nicely.

Then an hour later its still too tacky to handle. After about 1.5 hours I moved the parts out into the sun to let them cure. I will let the parts cure overnight and then again in the sun tomorrow before installing them thursday morning. With fresh paint when you apply pressure(like when trying to get a fender to go into place) you can leave imprints if it hasn't cured 100%.

yellow68.jpg

yellow69.jpg

yellow70.jpg

yellow71.jpg

yellow72.jpg

yellow73.jpg

Did you order the paint online? or Did you get it while you were in cali?

Did you have to get the code to color match? I need to repaint my door and fender so it looks better.

Did you order the paint online? or Did you get it while you were in cali?

Did you have to get the code to color match? I need to repaint my door and fender so it looks better.

I just went to the local finish master in california and got this paint(also got some VW arctic white to paint my Van at the same time).

You bring in the color code and get paint matched that way.

Who do you have your insurance with? I had a small incedent in a parking lot close to a year ago. I could do the fix myself without paying the 500 dollar decutible so I would really like to know how you just got a check.
Thanks

Dang. I wanna find something better then this stupid Duplacolor crap. It sucks

http://finishmaster.com/
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Devi...QptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools#ht_530wt_1167

Unless its an update on the CRD build, I don't want to hear it.............:D

I had to roll the CRD out to paint these, does that count?

Who do you have your insurance with? I had a small incedent in a parking lot close to a year ago. I could do the fix myself without paying the 500 dollar decutible so I would really like to know how you just got a check.
Thanks

State Farm. They asked if I had a shop picked out, told them that since it was an older vehicle I would just get it fixed myself. They sent a guy out to my location, he did the estimate, real nice guy, asked me about a couple of things and if they were part of the bambi incident, I get the feeling he would have written them up without question if I had told him(some scratches on my drivers door edge and missing fender splash shield). He opened the door jamb read the miles and options, and didn't say anything about the "REBUILT FROM SALVAGE" stamped in the door jamb either.

After calculating the total he wrote me a check for it minus my $500 deductible.

Overall I was very pleased with the experence, first time in about 15 years making a claim with them and they didn't bat an eye at approving it.

At first I was pretty pissed at bambi since I don't keep comprehensive insurance on my vehicles, luckily my dad had been driving it in LA and he got comprehensive insurance for it when he lived there, that carried over and never got dropped. So in the end it worked out in my favor.

I had to roll the CRD out to paint these, does that count?

It does not, and I hate to say it, but I'm with DJ :conceited DIESEL UPDATE!!!;)

$2200? I can't believe they didn't just total it and call it a day. Maybe because it was already a salvage vehicle? I thought it was hard to get insurance on those anyway?

$2200? I can't believe they didn't just total it and call it a day. Maybe because it was already a salvage vehicle? I thought it was hard to get insurance on those anyway?

$2700 before my deductible. Not hard at all to get insurance, you simply call them with your vin and get insurance, I buy and sell a lot of cars and they never bat an eye.

Totaling it out would have cost them even more.

It's kinda funny though, it looked pretty much the same when I got it(though the panels were pulled off in these photos so you can see how it was so similarly damaged:
http://klode.com/kws/napplications/display_pics.aspx?Exit=Close&Stockid=800916

It does not, and I hate to say it, but I'm with DJ :conceited DIESEL UPDATE!!!;)

No updates for now, my parents have been moving so I have been helping them house hunting. Replaced my back fence with one neighbor, replaced half my back fence with another nieghbor, installed a chain link gate and chicken fence, moved my chickens over to a new part of the backyard where I store my other cars.

house180.jpg

Also started putting in a patio(note the old chicken location):
house177.jpg

house175.jpg

So I've had lots of stuff to keep me busy.

Before I can get back into the diesel project I have a van to convert:
van18.jpg

van1.jpg

Which needs the old roof cutoff and the pop-top roof welded on, body-work done, primer, repaint, pop-top installed, and then interior cabinets installed.

The idea is that since my dad is still working in LA he will be able to live in the van, he has just been hiking up into the national forest to camp every night, but that can get old pretty fast.

So I have lots of stuff on my plate, which is also why the CRD kept getting pushed off. And pretty soon I'm gonna be back in school which is going to use time(but will also motivate me to work when I have free time).

Got my parts on last night, had to rush between when the Jeep was in the shade, and when the misquitos came out, overall about 2 hours to remove the old parts, get the new fender on, adjusted, and then transfer everything from the old header to the new one.

Looks pretty good, but like an idiot when I was adjusting everything I never closed the hood to check my gaps. I really need to bring the passenger side fender in, and the drivers side fender out, for the gaps to be perfect. Oh well, I sure as hell don't want to pull the header back off to do that(at least not now).

yellow74.jpg

yellow75.jpg

Did I happen to mention that I hate you for stealing that XJ out from under me at the auction? I'm yellaheep fer cryin' out loud.........That was MY rig....... :D

Did I happen to mention that I hate you for stealing that XJ out from under me at the auction? I'm yellaheep fer cryin' out loud.........That was MY rig....... :D

:roflmao::roflmao::gee:

Back