• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ Cylinder Head Lifters Cam Shaft

Schwing123

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing my cylinder head with the clearwater 0331 head, and want to make sure I am covering all my bases while I have everything apart. Should I replace the lifters and the cam shaft with the new head, or if I don't currently have any issues with ticking should I be fine with just replacing the head?

I wouldn't bother.

No noise...no problem. Just make sure to keep all pushrods and rockers in their pre disassembly locations and orientations.

No noise...no problem. Just make sure to keep all pushrods and rockers in their pre disassembly locations and orientations.

That doesn't matter at all, but if I had the chance I might think about replacing the lifters.

I'd say it could depend on how many miles the engine has on it which could be one factor in your decision.

I'm a strong believer in Preventative Maintenance so i would probably go ahead and change the lifters while its easy to do during the head replacement. And the push rods too.
Not sure if the Clearwater head comes with new rockers.

Changing the cam would increase the project so i probably wouldn't do it.
But it would be an excuse to slide in a souped up cam or at least a fresh stock cam.

Back